Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cheers for the input fellas.

2/3 may just do it for me.
    I have a strong favorite in mind and I'll report with the winner in a few weeks.

Get the Incubator when they go on sale.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    As a happy owner of the MollyMac Shamu IX underquilt. I will say that it packs pretty darn small. Unless you have outrageously high humidity it will function just fine down to 40*F

And to address OG's question ... You are OG, you are.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I've chosen one of UnderGround Quilts from Paul.

He's making me 40*, 3/4, 55Lx45W UQ.
    Should be here in about a month.
    Stay tuned.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Balkan boy View Post
    I've chosen one of UnderGround Quilts from Paul.

He's making me 40*, 3/4, 55Lx45W UQ.
    Should be here in about a month.
    Stay tuned.
    I have an UnderGround quilt too!! It took me a couple of weekends to really get it adjusted right so that now all I have to do is attach the ends to my hammock. I do take the extra shockcord that's pulled out at the foot end and go over the ridgeline on my BlackBird and attach to the other side of the quilt. I only do this when the night time temps are below freezing to help keep the foot end around my feet. After you get your quilt, do some testing to get it adjusted for you. Something else I did was to use the small S-binners to attach the quilt to my hammock ends. I use silver at one end and black at the other end. This way I know which end of the quilt I've adjusted tighter for my foot end.

I'm reporting about the quilt I've chosen. Maybe it will be helpful to someone.

It turned out to be an easy choice for me. I was approached by Paul, of UndergroundQuilts, with a fair offer and a lot of patience. We agreed upon a 3/4, 40 degrees quilt in 'Coyote brown'. Reason for 3/4 (instead of a full quilt) was a combination of price and bulk and an attempt to keep both as low as possible.
    Paul is quite a craftsman and he did a great job. All materials and stitching give the impression of quality.
    This quilt is type of gear I like - set it and forget it. It simply does what it should: stays in place and keeps me warm. I also ordered a pair of 'triangle thingies', but it turns out those aren't really necessary. Entire setup is clipping two S biners to the ridgeline and that's it. I'm 190cm tall, and this quilt runs from my neck to my calves. As expected, I needed something (pad) under my feet to keep the cold out.
    I stil haven't spent a night with this current setup so I can't tell you about temperature tolerances. For what is worth, I was perfectly comfortable at around 15C with wind and rain around me.

Here are some pictures.

Large storage sack with quilt inside:

Smaller sack:

Quilt stuffed inside Exped sack with two sacks from UGQ. It can be stuffed a lot more.

Inside with triangle thingies attached:

Here it is against the Sun so you can see the down. It didn't turn out that well. :roll eyes:

Around the WBBB:

Around me:

Cheers.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG CF w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0'
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Frustration

I really like the look of that quilt, and there is nothing better than a recommendation, but why oh why do so many cottage manufacturers have such bad web pages.

UGQ's pages really put me of buying anything.
    It's impossible to get any kind of overview over what's being sold, where one item ends and another begins, no way to compare the products, and the pages simply look like they're made by a five year old.

There tons of pre-made (even open source) web commerce platforms available. Please start using them!

EDIT:
    Ok, Paul from UGQ just reminded me of why cottage (despite terrible webshops) rock. Coming home after work a personal response from Paul is sitting in my forum inbox. That level of customer support is something which is simply missing from chains and large vendors.

To Paul and other cottage manufacturers, I love the products, I just think that if there is something one is not so good at, get someone else to do it and don't undervalue a good looking shop front.
    Last edited by logrus; 05-21-2012 at 10:43.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Balkan Boy,
    QUilt looks great.
    What FP and how much fill weight?

Quote Originally Posted by logrus View Post
    I really like the look of that quilt, and there is nothing better than a recommendation, but why oh why do so many cottage manufacturers have such bad web pages.
    I hear you about that.
    Web design isn't a strong side for hammock gear makers, but they make it up with great products and customer care many times over.

Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Balkan Boy,
    QUilt looks great.
    What FP and how much fill weight?
    It should be: 5 OZ 850+ FP IDFB CERTIFIED GOOSE DOWN
    Weight: 14 OZ +/- INCLUDING SUSPENSION (REG SIZE)

To me it weighs nothing at all. I don't even have a scale for so little mass.

I have underground UQ also. Paul was great. Communicated with me many times. Great customer service. I love my UQ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast