diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch

tonto national forest

planning on traveling to phoenix here in the next couple of days and was thinking of staying in the tonto national forest while out there. looking through the national forest service website was not able to find any info on camping other than at the many 'camp grounds'. so have any of you hiked through the forest? can you camp along the trails? my thought was to park at a trailhead and hike in camp for the night and then come back out and move on for the next night. thoughts, suggestions, advice? and of course i'll be hanging.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    JasonJones posted this yesterday, Bear Flats Az, great trip report.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=46709

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    [QUOTE=cinnamon;653370 can you camp along the trails? my thought was to park at a trailhead and hike in camp for the night and then come back out and move on for the next night. thoughts, suggestions, advice? and of course i'll be hanging.....[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can do this anywhere within the forest. It is closed usually during June and early July during fire season before enough monsoon activity, but it is open this time of year.

http://hikearizona.com/ Best site to find a great hike.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    thanks for the info and quick response

Images
    My memory may be off here, but I'm thinking most of the Tonto is desert to semi desert without a ton of trees. It will be beautiful- with places like the Superstitions- but you will have to be in just the right place for good sized trees. I'm thinking you are going to want to be near Payson and north of there. But, does it have to be in the Tonto only? Because immediately north of Payson, you get a big elevation rise at the Mogollon Rim, lots and lots of trees. Take one step and you cross the border from Tonto into Coconino or Apache-Sitgreaves NF, most of which is covered with Ponderosa Pine, Aspen and Spruce. The Tonto will be a beautiful place to camp, but you will have tp pay attention to make sure you have hammock trees available.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    My memory may be off here, but I'm thinking most of the Tonto is desert to semi desert without a ton of trees. It will be beautiful- with places like the Superstitions- but you will have to be in just the right place for good sized trees. I'm thinking you are going to want to be near Payson and north of there. But, does it have to be in the Tonto only? Because immediately north of Payson, you get a big elevation rise at the Mogollon Rim, lots and lots of trees. Take one step and you cross the border from Tonto into Coconino or Apache-Sitgreaves NF, most of which is covered with Ponderosa Pine, Aspen and Spruce. The Tonto will be a beautiful place to camp, but you will have tp pay attention to make sure you have hammock trees available.
    preferably in the tonto. i'm attending an event in Apache Junction and figured that the tonto forest is right there and that it wouldn't take very long to get to from where i'd be with the thought of just parking, hiking in making camp and passing out. (make camp late and leave early) the thought had crossed my mind that after this event i may head north and do an over night or two, maybe even head up to the grand canyon.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A couple of thoughts.
    Are you looking for overnight stuff while you are commuting to AJ? If so, you may be in a bit of a tough spot to find actual trees to hang from within real short walking distance. It is the desert after all. If you're looking for some actual hiking after you're done with your event, maybe this one you'd like: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=6
    I've done that trail, and it is a climber, but pretty.

Also, if you're in the state for a few days after your event, the Grand Canyon is always nice to see, especially if y ou've never been there, but, why not try one of the trails that seems to be on everyone's bucket list in AZ? Aravaipa Canyon. A river in the desert sure makes things very different. If you have weekdays available you can probably get permits and spend 2 nights exploring the place (which isn't ever enough there, I've been 5 times in the past 3 years.) Amazing beauty. http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=2

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    thanks, maybe i'll just get a hotel room and then do some hiking and hanging when i'm finished and before i head home.....

• + New Posts