Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a HOT one!

It's a HOT one!

First off, my prayers and thoughts -are- with those out west who've been battered with brutal weather the past couple of days. I feel it's a petty thing to complain about in comparison but it's the NY/NJ area's first real heat blast this year, and it's a HOT, HOT, HOT one!

Last night was only my second attempt at setting my Claytor up, with JrB 11x10 tarp, on my newly-built hammock stand. I figure it had to be at least 10° cooler outside than in my house last night, so away to the hammock I went. With no under-shield at all I had just my overquilt, shorts, and t-shirt and it was enough. The bummer was we had a possible thunder shower overnight so I put up the tarp, but it didn't make it unbearable. Not a lot of wind at all. I set up a bit more sag this time and it was definitely better than my first attempt, but I think a little more sag is needed. Methinks by the end of this month I'll be an expert hammock pilot yet! So, if you don't have central-air then get out and into your hammock! I'm glad I did.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Jeeze, It's so cold here, I slept in my hammock last week and I was wearing all of my winter ski gear and i was still kinda cold. I've been wearing my spring skiing jacket all week too.

I'd kill for some nice weather
    Last edited by QChan; 06-08-2008 at 23:35.

Images
    I hung outside a lot last spring until my AC got fixed. Way cooler outside.

I went on a planned weekend hike this weekend. Friday night was the first time I laid sweating in my hammock. With no top or bottom quilt in only my shorts. I had my small tarp only half on and pitched really high. Unfortunatly I had to stay in the bug netting. No breeze to speak of making it through the trees. Had to be in the 70's most of the night. After that my hiking partner and I decided to turn it into an overnight and headed home for some AC Saturday night.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I'm a NJ resident, and I had to sleep in my basement hammock last night. You get too sweaty sleeping on a bed. The hammock provided enough bottom ventilation to keep me from sweating and the cooler basement temps made it that more tolerable.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It's 96° F here already and it's only early afternoon. I think we broke a record for heat yesterday and are going to be close to breaking another one today too.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    I'm a NJ resident, and I had to sleep in my basement hammock last night. You get too sweaty sleeping on a bed. The hammock provided enough bottom ventilation to keep me from sweating and the cooler basement temps made it that more tolerable.
    jscalia,
    I'm from Mountainside (for those not familiar, it's next to Westfield where jscalia lives). Last night we returned from an outside wedding in Va (where the ceremony was outside in 102 degree sun) to find my daughter had left two windows open all weekend! She and my son opted for the basement for the same reason you did last night. The open windows provided cooling to the Watchung Reservation for 2 1/2 days.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    I'm seriously a little bit jealous.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    I just took the dogs for a walk and it feels like winter here in northwest Washington. It's about 50 and raining heavily. Tomorrow, I plan on going backcountry skiing on Mt Baker (about 4500+ feet elevation) and have a hunch that there will be a little powder snow on top of the 10+ foot snowpack base. Normally, we're skiing on corn snow this time of the year, preferably in shorts and T-shirts in the sun. May was OK but other than that it's been ridiculously cold and wet since Thanksgiving.

The HH Backpacker A-sym worked fine along the North Fork Nooksack near Glacier, WA last Thursday when it was misty and dropped down to 45. Even got a little too hot & stuffy at one point in all those clothes with a synthetic quilt underneath in addition to a Big Agnes mattress and 35 degree rated down bag. But, have to get a bigger tarp. The stock tarp is too small.

I really want to get the hammock ready for cold weather. It seems like it'd be great for spring ski tours if it could handle temps down to freezing.

It's amazing how different the weather is here from the heat wave on the East Coast. That's heat wave is rough. Take it easy you all. Hopefully, it'll subside soon.
    Last edited by hikingjer; 06-09-2008 at 23:28.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I guess shouldn't complain about our unusually cool spring. Finally had couple days in a row where daytime highs reached into the 70sF. Nights up here are still dropping into the upper 40's low 50's . When the wind switches onshore the temps crash. Lake Superior surface temps have warmed up to 39F. Low RH and cool temp make for easy sleeping weather. Plenty of opportunity to figure out what gear & combos work for cool nights. Looking forward to some hot & humid. Curious to find out my upper temp comfort level in a hammock.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I just got the green light on a 10 day solo trip thru SNP. I am hoping the temps drop a little, but to be honest I will take what I can get. It is supposed to rain Thursday night which is my start date so I'm not too worried. What actually worries me is the availability of water
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast