HH Deep jungle Safari
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)

HH SS or Underquilt

New to hammock camping and just purchased my first hammock, a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip with the Hex Tarp upgrade. My question is on insulation.
    Should I go with the Supershelter from Hennessy or is an underquilt the way to go. I see that MEC has down bags on sale and could be made into a decent UQ. I don't hang in the winter as we don't see much below freezing where I live ( Vancouver Island) so i guess that a 3 season would be a good option. The bags are only 575 Fill so they won't be all that small and that is minor concern as I am trying to keep the size down to fit on my motorcycle.
    Thanks for the input

Images
    How cold do you plan to hang? That would be the biggest factor.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL & Traveler 1.1SL
    Tarp
    HG Hex & Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I too am a new hammock camper. I started using a pad for insulation. But after laying in a hammock,with an Down UQ. It was noticeably different. And it pack down small. So for a few dollars more, then the HH Supershelter I would get a Down UQ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    I too am a new hammock camper. I started using a pad for insulation. But after laying in a hammock,with an Down UQ. It was noticeably different. And it pack down small. So for a few dollars more, then the HH Supershelter I would get a Down UQ.
    Gustav, did you lay on a CCF ground pad in a hammock, or were you using the HH SuperShelter? That HHSS and pad packs down pretty small also in a compression stuff sack.

Quote Originally Posted by XTZ750 View Post
    New to hammock camping and just purchased my first hammock, a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip with the Hex Tarp upgrade. My question is on insulation.
    Should I go with the Supershelter from Hennessy or is an underquilt the way to go. I see that MEC has down bags on sale and could be made into a decent UQ. I don't hang in the winter as we don't see much below freezing where I live ( Vancouver Island) so i guess that a 3 season would be a good option. The bags are only 575 Fill so they won't be all that small and that is minor concern as I am trying to keep the size down to fit on my motorcycle.
    Thanks for the input
    Your best bet is to search here for Super Shelter or Supershelter or HHSS and you will find about a billion opinions on this subject. Some love em and some hate em.

How much is that MEC bag you want to convert and how much does it weigh? The HHSS weighs ~ 20 oz plus 3 oz for the optional top cover.

I have a supershelter but rarely use it. I found the installation a hassle for regular backpacking. I also did not like having to move the under-pad when exiting the hammock, but I have a bottom-entry Hennessy while you have a zipper version so that won't be a problem for you.

For several years I found a Big Agnes sleeping bag to work very well since it has an integrated pad sleeve so the bag would never roll off the pad. It works very well with a closed-foam cell pad inside a hammock. I would add a second, wider and thinner pad around my torso area to prevent hammock wrap from chilling my sides. I've used this method for temperatures below 20F very successfully.

Recently I bought a Jacks R Better Greylock underquilt (current sale is $150) and find it to be very easy and quick to install and seems to be more comfortable than the pad + sleeping bag combination. For the price, comfort, and ease of use I suggest the underquilt.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I like the UQ, and if you plan on getting any other hammocks, it can be used with them, where as the HHSS cannot. UQ is so warm and comfortable. Also, you can get the UQ now, and save your money and get a TQZQ under cover and get a top cover made much cheaper than the HHSS, and it can be used with your UQ.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Deep jungle Safari
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Gustav, did you lay on a CCF ground pad in a hammock, or were you using the HH SuperShelter? That HHSS and pad packs down pretty small also in a compression stuff sack.

Your best bet is to search here for Super Shelter or Supershelter or HHSS and you will find about a billion opinions on this subject. Some love em and some hate em.

How much is that MEC bag you want to convert and how much does it weigh? The HHSS weighs ~ 20 oz plus 3 oz for the optional top cover.
    I don't plan on going under 32 F
    I have spent alot of time on this forum searching the HH SS as I am off waiting on carpel tunnel surgery and everyone seems to either like or hate the SS.
    The MEC bags run from 14F (-10 c) at 50 oz( 3#) and $80, 32F (0 c) and 2.6# ( 42 oz) and $74 to 41F ( +5 c) at 32 oz $67. I would like to DIY one but the cost of fabric ( 16.99 a meter) for nylon seems to be crazy to me and can't seem to find any down for sale in Canada.
    I don't want to go the pad route as I am trying to eliminate some items from my pack.

Images
    I don't plan on going under 32 F
    I have spent alot of time on this forum searching the HH SS as I am off waiting on carpel tunnel surgery and everyone seems to either like or hate the SS.
    The MEC bags run from 14F (-10 c) at 50 oz( 3#) and $80, 32F (0 c) and 2.6# ( 42 oz) and $74 to 41F ( +5 c) at 32 oz $67. I would like to DIY one but the cost of fabric ( 16.99 a meter) for nylon seems to be crazy to me and can't seem to find any down for sale in Canada.
    I don't want to go the pad route as I am trying to eliminate some items from my pack.
    If you can afford it?
    I'd go with a HammockGear.com summer phoenix with 1-2 oz over stuffed.

I have one and it's perfect for all weather down to 32.

personally, I would go with an UQ for reasons mentioned above, but mostly because of how great the experience of using an UQ was. The setup of a HHSS seems a little bit of a hassle as well but that's probably because I'm just not that familiar with it.

Also don't worry about condensation with an UQ, some people with HHSS do.

Hammock
    MazGear
    Tarp
    MazGear/SuperFly
    Insulation
    MazGear/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Just another opinion....

Thanks for the input
    I have used the HH ULB with the Supershelter ...cause I thought I could save some bucks. Well I am a warm sweaty sleeper so I always had condensation issues with the SS...no matter the temp or weather I would wake up warm.... but to a soaked hammock and sleeping bag. So I gave it to my wife to use cause she is a cold sleeper and doesn't sweat but after using it she had the same issues.....If the trip is just an overnighter then it wouldn't be an issue to have a wet hammock but we do multi-night trips and sometimes the sun isn't around to dry out your stuff ....so we had to change.

So since then we both went to an UQ from HammockGear.com and we haven't had any issues with condensation in any temps or weather. I'm not saying that's your best option ....I just wanted to share my experience with the SS vs UQ issue....There are many kinds of insulation and UQ makers out there or you can make your own ....but we learned the hard way and ended up spending a little more than we originally wanted ....but it was well worth it!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast