Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    As big of fan as I am of hemp products, I don't think I'd want a hammock made of hemp. Back in the day, when women adored me and men feared me (college) I had some uber cool hemp sandals. Thought I was the bomb-diggity. However, nothing in my experience holds odor quite as well as hemp. Maybe there are different processes around these days that were not utilized back then, but experience is one heck of a teacher. I still shed a small tear when I recall the day I tossed them out. They were so bad the rats came running out of the dumpster in disgust.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    While I have no research to back this up.. Linen would be an obvious choice for ship board hammocks. By the time sails were ready to be retired I suspect they were too damaged to be cut up and made into hammocks for the crew. Working of my memory, not always a good thing to do I would vote for linen.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    As big of fan as I am of hemp products, I don't think I'd want a hammock made of hemp. Back in the day, when women adored me and men feared me (college) I had some uber cool hemp sandals. Thought I was the bomb-diggity. However, nothing in my experience holds odor quite as well as hemp. Maybe there are different processes around these days that were not utilized back then, but experience is one heck of a teacher. I still shed a small tear when I recall the day I tossed them out. They were so bad the rats came running out of the dumpster in disgust.

I've have a white long sleeved hemp shirt that is a favorite of mine in the tropics. It never retained odor any more than any other shirt I owned.. in fact, it has outlasted pretty much every other shirt I've owned including synthetics. It breathes better than synthetics, and dries quicker than cotton. It's super comfy.. kinda like your old sandals.

I too have the problem with the stinky feet. I think it has more to do with over loved pieces of footwear than anything else. (My stinky cannoning sandals are my retired 4 year old everyday sandals.. lol)

I'm think hemp would make a fine hammock for car camping/back yards/etc.. I just see it as bulkier and heavier than nylon.. Not so good for through hiking.. but OK if you don't have to lug it too far.

I guess I should just sew one up and become a guinea pig for the sake of us all. (Paycheck is being deposited tomorrow .. lol)

Edit: I would have to say I would rather have a synthetic hammock if the @#@$! hit the fan weather wise in a cooler climate. I think hemp and cotton are similar in this regard and would be a major drawback to anyone camping in cooler temps. In warmer areas(tropics).. I
    d be interested in the advantage of increase breatheabily.
    Last edited by Tiki; 07-15-2009 at 00:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Well.. doing some research I found a 5.8oz weave and 7.5 oz "summercloth" that look promising. I'm sure a hammock made from this would be pretty overbuilt. Any input?

I could probably go lighter; but, I do weigh about 215lbs.. so maybe I shouldn't . They do have a 4.6 oz 100% hemp "linen".

There are several silk and cotton blends available; but, I'd prefer to stay away from cotton. Silk might be ok.. I'm not too worried about "roughness" as my hemp shirt is coarse, yet soft.

A link here:

http://www.hemptraders.com/index.php?cPath=21

I'm kinda leaning towards the 7.5 oz stuff for it's looser weave and better breatheablity. Also, was wondering about tread. Cotton is out(don't want it to rot).. would it be wrong/not good to use poly thread with hemp/natural fibers?

Anyways.. still considering the idea.. it would be cool.

I'm interested in hemp fiber for cloth and, especially right now, for rope.

Hemp used to be far better than synthetics, especially for rope, where synthetics were no comparison. Since then, extensive development has been done with synthetics, while shuffling hemp to the back. Probably less is done with hemp now than was done hundreds of years ago. However, I think hemp could be developed to be stronger, more comfortable, and more long lasting than ever. There is also the technology now to blend hemp with other fibers, such as cotton or flax. Even without this though, I am tending to look to hemp for rope to use for suspension. I've been reading threads about synthetic cords, and it looks to me that hemp rope still compares quite favorably.

Has anyone progressed with a hemp hammock yet? I'm curious what the weight is of the cotton in Mayan hammocks, as compared to cotton and nylon. As hemp is said to be 5x stronger than cotton, hemp hammocks of a similar size could be somewhat lighter and more durable than ones made of cotton.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Hemp rope is still used in some applications but it has one very distinct characteristic which help hasten its replacement. Hemp rope rots from the inside out. I remember twisting the rigging rope I used to make sure the inside of the rope was clean. Often times the exterior looked fine but once I looked at the inside I found it could not be used with safety. Now we are talking about hanging a thousand pounds of scenery but the issue still applies.

In any event, since it is a natural fiber hemp will decay and it happens silently until it is really too late. Hemp is a really good fiber except for that problem
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Ramblinrev, thank you for that emphasis.

Hemp rope was used in the age of sailing ships, though the rope had to be protected by tarring, since hemp rope has a propensity for breaking from rot, as the capillary effect of the rope-woven fibers tended to hold liquid at the interior, while seeming dry from the outside.
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Hemp

Hemp rope was phased out when Manila, which does not require tarring, became widely available. Manila is sometimes referred to as Manila hemp, but is not related to hemp; it is abacá, a species of banana.
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ki/Manila_hemp

I've seen Manila rope at the hardware store. Maybe that's a good alternative for hammocks, and I love bananas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123