Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I have a Hennessy A-sym and have not experienced neck pain but I always use a pillow. Car camping I take a little camping pillow. Backpacking I made a little cotton pillow case with velcro and stuff whatever I have on hand into it. I tried those little inflatable pillows from Backpacking Light but didn't like it under my head, instead used it under my knees, which was nice. I gave one of the inflatable pillows to a friend and he really liked it.
    I'm one of the friends that Happy Camper gave a pillow to....thanks again, Tracy. I found it comfortable but noisy. I wonder what would happen if I washed it a couple of times...like I did with my Tyvek dog "pad"?? I'm also thinking of making a small pillow case for it. The little bit of extra weight may translate into a lot more comfort and less noise.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Yeah, the noise is what I didn't like either. Our other friend didn't have a problem with the noise. Very sound sleeper, I guess!

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    SuperShelter/Quilt
    the best kind I've found is the same type they use on trains...they compress well and are the right size for a hammock. Check online for some.
    MY TOP 3
    3. My Candle Lantern
    2. My Pocket Rocket Stove
    1. My HH Ultralite with SS

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    I just stumbled on this thread for the first time. It's a big issue for me. Arthritis in the top few vertebrae is a colossal pain in the neck and I've got a huge dose of it. I've just finished making my first hammock, an Ed Speer kit, and tried it out a few times but not yet overnight. My first overnight, when it stops rainin', I'll try what I've always done tent camping--stuffing a stuff sack with a soft, Polarguard jacket. Fortunately, I've already trained myself to sleep on my back, all night long. A word to the wise: my neurologist and chiropractor agree that the probable cause is too many years sleeping on my stomach, head turned to one side. If that's what you do, keep it up--misery loves company
    bob

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    Does anyone here experience neck discomfort while lying in a hammock? Do you use pillows and if so what do you use?

I never had these issues with my Hennesy Asym, but any other hammock I will experience neck discomfort especially if I am not using a thick air pad under my head.
    i dont use a pillow,a longer hammock like the claytor jungle works great,no pillow,no neck pain.neo
    the matrix has you

I just spent 11 nights in my Hennessy. I used my Patagonia Puffball vest inside my sleeping bag (wallcreeper) stuffsack for a pillow. It worked great. I slept in a bed last night with a pillow and my neck is stiff.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    The three nights I've hanged I didn't use a pillow and didn't miss having one.

FarStar

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I use a neck pillow. I can get a crick in my neck w/o it. Besides, it just feels much better using a pillow for me.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Images
    My jacket makes a nice pillow when I need one. A couple times I had neck pain that was fixed my sleeping with a pad from my head to a few inches past my shoulders. It felt flatter and didn't seem to torque my neck as much.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    While using clothes in a stuff sack may be the lightest option (what I've always used), if you don't mind carrying a few extra ounces, Kelty makes a really nice camping pillow I just picked up at ****'s sporting goods for about $10. I think the bottom is nylon and the top is a cotton/poly blend (breathable, lightweight, dries out super quickly, really soft and comfortable, compresses into stuff sack, if you can't tell I really like it). And it's large enough to support your neck and head. If you just search their site for camp pillow you'll find it.