Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hc4u, i just did a little internal structural ridgeline of my own today. how is yours working with just having the knot jammed in the end of the whipping? i hadn't heard of any failures, but it made me a little nervous doing it that way so i did a variation where the ridgeline runs through the whipping but is secured to the suspension lines. i tied a big loop in the end of the ridgeline which i left sticking out of one end of the whipping and ran the suspension line through it. this way it is through the whipping but secured to the base/larks head of the suspension line. and on the other end, i left a foot or so of slack sticking out the whipping so i can easily adjust the length by just pulling more or less through the end and tying off. you can easily untie to lengthen/shorten and then tie off again. i just took the excess ridgeline, tied a half hitch around the bottom of the suspension line, wrapped it around 5-6 more times and finished with a slipped half hitch. it's really easy to adjust. although like grizz said, once it's set, you can pretty much leave it at that.
    I was also thinking of running the ridgeline through the whipping and securing it to the support on the outside. Have you had any problems with the ridgeline slipping through the suspension line back through the whipping?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I haven’t made a DIY hammock yet, but I have this observation on bug nets.

Wouldn’t it be just as easy to sew bug net along both lengths of the hammock, and have the net’s zipper be centered overhead along a ridge line? This would seem to eliminate ANY sharp turns, and when not wanted each side could be rolled up and secured to the side seam of the hammock length.

Yet another bright idea from a guy that hasn’t tried yet!!!

Interesting idea. You got me thinking about it. I think there will be a couple problems to look at. Leaving extra bug netting on the ends to get around the hammock is one. You also need a long seperating zipper. The big one is will a zipper work backwords? It may not, I am not sure if it would take a special one or not. Not a deal breaker not to zip it on the bottom though.

Having it zip down the top would make it easier to get in on either side. You may add a few oz with a longer zipper.

Go for it and let us know how it works for you.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For the zipper to work inside and out you would simply need a double tab zipper slide. They are ussually very easy to find in the #3 and #5 sizes. I am not sure why it would need to be a separating zipper since there would be no more slack in the system if the zipper separated or not. At least not as I picture it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    For the zipper to work inside and out you would simply need a double tab zipper slide. They are ussually very easy to find in the #3 and #5 sizes. I am not sure why it would need to be a separating zipper since there would be no more slack in the system if the zipper separated or not. At least not as I picture it.
    I think it would have to seperate. How else would it go from the top of the hammock to the bottom without untying the hammock from the tree?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Any pictures or drawings of what you are describing? I can't quite picture it.
    nope, camera is out of commission right now.

basically i just did like hc4u did (in his post installing a structural ridgeline in a warbonnet eldorado) and ran the ridgeline through the gathered end. instead of just tying a stopper knot so it wouldn't slip back through, i basically just tied it off to the base of the suspension line.

since you only really need one end to be adjustable, i just tied a big overhand or fig 8 loop in one end and stuck the loop through the whipping and just looped it over the suspension line and pulled from the inside to get it snug. i could have tied it to the suspension line, but this was just a little neater. the other end is the adjustable end, i have a foot or so of slack coming out the end of the whipping. simply adjust to the correct length and tie it off. you could do exactly this on both ends, but you really only need to be able to tie/untie/adjust at one end.

clear as mud?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    coffee... Ok I think I got what you are saying.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123