Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Posts
    2,023
    Images
    2

    New way to use sunshade reflector?

    I have been using my poncho as an undershield/garlington insulator for years now. It is amazing how this multi-use piece of gear extends the range of my sleep system. I have also used my sunshade reflector in my claytor as well as other pads as the conditions warrant. As with others, I have experienced the condensation of the reflector in some situations. I have also been thinking about how to maximize the sunshades reflective abilities and minimize the condensation and conductive loss.

    After reading a bit about how the reflective nature requires space for maximum effectiveness and also remembering the early garlington experiments with space blankets crumpled into the garbage bags, I tried an experiment. I simply placed the sunshade between my poncho and the hammock! This simple idea allows for space between the reflector and hammock to maximize that ability. It also eliminates conductive heat loss and any condensation will no longer wet the hammock/quilt etc... The one experiment was a success, but more are needed to see if this is an improvement. Anyone else ever tried this?

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows
    Hammock
    2 DIY Hammocks, Byer Easy Trav
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Posts
    38
    Used one under my feet in 20 degree weather last night. Found it at the goodwill for 2 bucks. Didn't do a darn thing. If anything the reflector got cold and only aided in the chilling of my feet. But my feet are cold anyway and i have a 3/4uq and my quilt is only rated to 35f, ymmv.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 2Tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, Va
    Hammock
    11'ers DiY's, Darien U.L, WB Trvler
    Tarp
    HG4S, WB Asym
    Insulation
    HG Custom, W Mamba
    Suspension
    DGlyde, Dutch
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist Voyager View Post
    Used one under my feet in 20 degree weather last night. Found it at the goodwill for 2 bucks. Didn't do a darn thing. If anything the reflector got cold and only aided in the chilling of my feet. But my feet are cold anyway and i have a 3/4uq and my quilt is only rated to 35f, ymmv.
    Is that similar to reflectix? I hope thats not the case for it as well
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

  4. #4
    Senior Member DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Posts
    2,023
    Images
    2
    NV, The problem you describe is due to the conductive heat loss which is why I have created the separation from the body.

    2Tall, basically it is the same. The reflective pad is not the same as a ccf. It must be used differently. If one just wants a foot pad to set their feet on, ccf is the best choice.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows
    Hammock
    2 DIY Hammocks, Byer Easy Trav
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Posts
    38
    Ah! I see now. Do you think I'd be able to accomplish this by putting a thin bit of pad in the hammock with it between the reflector and myself? I don't have any quick and easy was to attach it to the outside of my hammock, but I've never experienced the condensation issues you mention.


    Maybe shockcord the corners and make a foot uq...

  6. #6
    Senior Member DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Posts
    2,023
    Images
    2
    A piece of ccf for your feet INSTEAD of the reflectix. I rarely get the condensation with the reflective pad, my purpose for moving it to between the poncho and hammock was to maximize the reflective properties. I am wondering if just a space blanket would do just as well attached to the inner of my poncho.

  7. #7
    deerfu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smyrna,Ga.
    Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    A piece of ccf for your feet INSTEAD of the reflectix. I rarely get the condensation with the reflective pad, my purpose for moving it to between the poncho and hammock was to maximize the reflective properties. I am wondering if just a space blanket would do just as well attached to the inner of my poncho.
    DucTape how low have you taken this system and what were you using as a tq?

  8. #8
    Senior Member DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Posts
    2,023
    Images
    2
    -22*F with no wind, -11*F with 20mph winds. When I get to subzero, I use a mummy sleeping bag. Seals up better. I do not find getting in/out of a sleeping bag that much of an issue, at least the warmth overrides any annoyance. I unzip the bag almost all the way, put my butt right where it will stay, pivot in and zip up.

  9. #9
    deerfu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smyrna,Ga.
    Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    -22*F with no wind, -11*F with 20mph winds. When I get to subzero, I use a mummy sleeping bag. Seals up better. I do not find getting in/out of a sleeping bag that much of an issue, at least the warmth overrides any annoyance. I unzip the bag almost all the way, put my butt right where it will stay, pivot in and zip up.
    There's no way I'd even want to be outside in those temps. I sometimes zip my bag too just to seal the drafts. I'm wondering how much lower I can take my uq by adding one of these. You definitely must be a warm sleeper

  10. #10
    Senior Member DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Posts
    2,023
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu39 View Post
    There's no way I'd even want to be outside in those temps. I sometimes zip my bag too just to seal the drafts. I'm wondering how much lower I can take my uq by adding one of these. You definitely must be a warm sleeper
    When I get to these temps, I put away my UQ and use pads exclusively. Can't beat the weight to warmth ratio. It is likely I am a bit more acclimated to the cold being a NY'er. Though I have noticed I am slightly more annoyed by the cold this year due to not spending every weekend out in the yard.

Similar Threads

  1. Hammock Reflector
    By DoctaD in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 13:15
  2. Windshield reflector
    By newfieghost in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 08:26
  3. Poncho Liner + Sunshade = UQ?
    By JasonJones in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 04:44
  4. Reflector oven fun
    By 2Questions in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 19:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •