Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Tornado and boy scouts

I read this over on WB and thought I would bring it here for those who are around the scouts it terrible.

Apparent tornado strikes Iowa boy scout camp

LITTLE SIOUX, Iowa — An apparent tornado has struck a boy scout camp in western Iowa.
    A dispatch operator with the Harrison County Sheriff's Office would not confirm reports of injuries but said first responders were at the camp site and more were en route.
    The Little Sioux Scout Ranch is located in rural western Iowa, about one hour north of Omaha, Nebraska.

according to the weather channel, 4 confirmed dead and 30-40 injured. very sad

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/0...rss_topstories

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I hope & pray that the injuries are less than expected.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My thoughts and prayers are with those families affected. What a terrible thing to have happen. I think the story said they only had 12 minutes warning.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I went back to WB and it just kills me to think that people open there mouths with crap they do over there. some are just plan asses over there. sorry for the cursing.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I was an entension agent and worked with the 4-H program for 30 years. Often has 4-H camps at a local camping facility. We normally would have about a 100 youth at the camps. We also worried about the weather and what to do with the kids. It out in the country so difficult to pick up weather contitions, only the phone and radios that people would bring.
    I am also on the board of directors for that same camp facility. We has some volunteers from Kansas there this week doing some building and repairs. That same line of storms that killed the Iowa youth came throug here last night. I spent some time in the basement because of it.
    It would be very usefull to built some type of storm shelter at the camp. We need to put it into the list of things that need to happen.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Sounds worse than it did last night up there

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    my heart goes out to the families that lost their sons,a couple weeks back me and my youngest son were on the harpeth river in a flood stage.i lost over a 1000 bucks in gear including a kayak,i have replaced everything but my camera and boonie hat.i let my kayak and gear go.it was the only way to get to my son.all i thought about during that frightful moment was my son.we lived to paddle another day.it would crush me to lose my sons.i feel for anyone that has lost a child.neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

Losing a child

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    my heart goes out to the families that lost their sons,a couple weeks back me and my youngest son were on the harpeth river in a flood stage.i lost over a 1000 bucks in gear including a kayak,i have replaced everything but my camera and boonie hat.i let my kayak and gear go.it was the only way to get to my son.all i thought about during that frightful moment was my son.we lived to paddle another day.it would crush me to lose my sons.i feel for anyone that has lost a child.neo
    Losing a child has to be one of the most difficult life experiences one can endure. I have a dear friend who lost his six year old daughter in a bicycling accident, hit by a truck, and he and his wife struggle to keep their marriage going as they grieve and deal with it in their individual ways. She cannot celebrate mothers day now because she thinks she is a bad mother for letting it happen. She is in therapy and will be for a long time I think. It tears marraiges and families apart.

Those boys were there to experience a highlight of their childhood, feeling safe with adults who cared for them. Now their parents will be racked with "what if" kinds of thoughts and wonder what they could have done differently. Bad things happen to good people all the time, yet it never is easy to deal with or even understandable.

As father's day approaches, those of us with children should give them an extra embrace, thinking of those families at that camp, knowing that at least we paused to care a little more because of their tragedy. Perhaps that is the only thing that keeps it all in perspective. My heart goes out to them.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's a good word canoebie. Thanks.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Neo - I read that you lost a kayak, but didn't know the circumstances. So glad you and your som are both okay. We all know that "things" can be replaced.

This BSA situation is so sad, and my prayers are with the families of those who lost their lives. I also pray for the survivors, that they will be able to continue to do things like camping and hiking and not have long lasting effects from this experience. And as a former youth leader for my church, I know the sense of responsibility that the leaders feel for each young person entrusted to their care. All of these people will have many difficult moments to deal with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast