BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JBR quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies by Dutch

Hammock stands

I'm thinking about getting a stand for indoor use. I have a HH Expedition and a
    JRB BMBH I'd like to hang indoors in the cold weather. STP has an ABO Gear hammock stand for $65 + shipping (35% off keycode till 2/16). Anybody have any experience or suggestions with using stands?

I just used two stainless I bolts from lowes. Cost about $4 bucks. If you don't mind a couple holes in the walls it works great.

Jason

Hammock
    Tommy Hamamca XX Grande
    Tarp
    roof over my head!
    Insulation
    sleepnbag+blankets
    Suspension
    vario stand
    Quote Originally Posted by tryker13 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a stand for indoor use. I have a HH Expedition and a
    JRB BMBH I'd like to hang indoors in the cold weather. STP has an ABO Gear hammock stand for $65 + shipping (35% off keycode till 2/16). Anybody have any experience or suggestions with using stands?
    I've been sleeping in my hammock every night since august '11 (unless I'm at the gf's). I got one of those vario adjustable hammock stands off of ebay for ~60-70 dollars w/ free shipping (it was a blemished one, but it was only a few scratches that i never notice cuz the hammock is colorful (tommy hammaca xx grande)).

The stand is great. I like the adjustability. I just wish I had the right size wrench to tighten the bolts a little more. If you can get one for cheap, then I'd say go for it.

Also, you might consider doing the bolts in the walls as previously suggested. I've got an apartment so I can't drill

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Never tried a commercial stand. The nice ones made of woods were to expensive and heavy for my taste. The cheaper ones, made of metal, had a couple of bad reviews, saying that the legs tended to separate after some time. Then there was the problem of guessing if the stand was compatible with my hammock. Lots of stands don't offer either the necessary height, or the width needed for a gathered end hammock.

In the end, I went with recommendations here and built a bamboo tripod stand, but wasn't happy with it due to the significant flex. The longest "ridge pole" I could get was barely longer than my hammock. When stringing up the hammock, it would have the necessary tightness, but upon getting into the hammock, it sagged considerably.

My final solution was to put some eye pads into the wall, which - if you can do it / if your walls can take the load - is a lot cheaper and looks a lot nicer. When I take off the hammock, the eye pads are inconspicuous and don't take away floor space.

The next time I'm going to install anchor points indoors, I'll try to fix a 4x4 to the wall, so that I can use the suspension like I would outdoors with trees and have greater adjustability. I assume the posts would take some of the load, too, if I have them touch the floor.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Tryker, I use this one every night.http://http://www.hammockforums.net/...ad.php?t=35273
    And a variation of the turtle lady stand when traveling.http://http://www.hammockforums.net/...rtlelady+stand
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Two good home made options.

Screw eyes into a wall or beam is a good option if you can locate something solid to screw into and they are 13-16 feet apart. I have several of these set up in the house and they don't take up any space if you want to take the hammock down.

I also have and use an OldDog/TurtleLady inspired portable stand. (more pics of the stand in my gallery)

I'm just on the other side of Charlottesville if you want to see the stand in person.

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

hppyfngy,

Is that eyebolt fixed into an actual door? I'm trying to locate the best options for indoor hanging.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    It looks to me that it is screwed into the moulding around a window. If your house is framed correctly there should always be a stud on either side of any opening.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FPO View Post
    hppyfngy,

Is that eyebolt fixed into an actual door? I'm trying to locate the best options for indoor hanging.
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    It looks to me that it is screwed into the moulding around a window. If your house is framed correctly there should always be a stud on either side of any opening.
    This one is screwed through a window casing and into the stud framing it. Have to be careful with some old houses as there might be a pocket for the old weights that were part of the window mechanism. (like in my case) Door frame should be easy to find.

But anywhere you can hit a stud dead center will hold if you can get enough threads into the stud. I think I used an eye that had 4"+ of thread.
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 02-15-2012 at 16:37.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I have 2 commercial stands. 1 will work with an eno dn and the kmart hammocks but neither would work with my hh explorer.......until today. I haven't had a chance for a test run yet but the stand I've modded should work well with the hh and bb's. I've got about 15' between the risers and the hanging bolts are at 68". Hopefully my butt won't be draggin' the ground now

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast