Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    the bottom line is this... there is comfort in camp and there is comfort while hiking. you dont get to have the best of both. often you have to pick one or the other. the trick is finding a balance. if you want to save weight at the cost of being cold then your good. just make sure you dont go so far with saving weight that you are dangerously cold. its ok to be uncomfortably cold sleeping. thats acceptable for me. ill take the trade off. but if you are doing this alone as i am then you have to walk that fine line carefully. you really can freeze to death this time of year if you are alone. be careful and good luck.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    one more thing from me then i will shut up. if you are alone you should think of the worst case senario. its very cold and wet and you are injured to bad to walk / you fall in a stream / whatever... ask yourself "will my cold weather gear keep me from freezing to death til someone comes along?" (i have went days without seeing any dayhikers). mine isnt but it is a risk but many of us take it. i just have to remember to not get hurt. lol. seriously, if your answer is no then just be aware and be extra careful. ok thats all i got and i am just a dummy anyway. have fun
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    HM Murdock thanks for the info I am going alone so I am going to play it safe just ordered the 0degree yeti underquilt gonna save a lil more $ and get the winter mamba topquilt. better to be safe then sorry I can mail the heavier stuff home when the weather warms.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    that is a good idea. i have the usgi sleep system. i had an extra winter weight portion so i cut it and made a UQ with it. i gotta say, i know sythetic is better in wet conditions but it is just to heavy and takes up way to much room. when i can afford it i will order the right TQ and UQ. good luck to ya.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by HM Murdock View Post
    one more thing from me then i will shut up. if you are alone you should think of the worst case senario. its very cold and wet and you are injured to bad to walk / you fall in a stream / whatever... ask yourself "will my cold weather gear keep me from freezing to death til someone comes along?" (i have went days without seeing any dayhikers). mine isnt but it is a risk but many of us take it. i just have to remember to not get hurt. lol. seriously, if your answer is no then just be aware and be extra careful. ok thats all i got and i am just a dummy anyway. have fun
    best advice so far... and your right thats why i tell people wanting to thru just to get a good 3 season or better TQ and NOT a 40F and try to stay warm with layers too much can go wrong fast like you said with a 40F bag in 20F weather what if your puffy coat gets wet.. your pretty much out of luck then doing the 40F bag and layers is good for overnights and weekend trips but not for a thru hike where your far away from home and warm shelter
    like i told another do you want to spend your night trying to stay warm or be warm ... after 16+ miles for me it's be warm

Quote Originally Posted by cybernugz View Post
    HM Murdock thanks for the info I am going alone so I am going to play it safe just ordered the 0degree yeti underquilt gonna save a lil more $ and get the winter mamba topquilt. better to be safe then sorry I can mail the heavier stuff home when the weather warms.
    i think it's the smart choice to go with a good TQ and not rely on layers for warmth .... you will see rain a lot on the AT here on the east coast we get rain and it can rain for days and be COLD and snow i seen snow in April a few times we have some wacky weather on the east coast .... be safe and let us know your ok and Have Fun
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

TQ vs SB

Is there a real benefit of the TQ vs the SB. Would'nt a +15 or +20 SB be better if you go to ground. Price is fairly equal on both so I was looking at using a Therma Rest Ridge Rest Solite with the SB. Any Help would be appreciated.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Most people just find a TQ easier to use in a hammock. You can also take the TQ to ground with a pad. If you want to use a pad in a hammock look at making a SPE to help keep your shoulders and ships warm as well. But if you ask mo0st of the people here who have done the AT with a hammock they will likely tell you that you never need to go to ground. They don't call it the green tunnel for nuthin'
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123