GT UL, WBBB1.7sl, Taveler1.7sl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4s
    Insulation
    Yeti 3s, UGQ Top
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Foot Pad

Hey y'all! My tax return just came in today and first thing I did was order a Black Bird 1.7 SL. I do have one quick question for everybody. I have the new JRB Greylock and was wondering what to most of you warbonnet hangers use for a partial foot/leg pad. Would 1/4 inch GG thinlight be enough? Too much?
    How about the 1/8 inch? Does the pad have to be cut to a special size to fit the foot box? I will be using a 30 degree down bag that has a full zip for top insulation. Thank in advance for all and any answers/suggestions.

~grim

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I just got two inflatable Thermarest foot pads in the for sale forum. Watch Shugs videos, he goes over what he uses, including the Thermarest foot pad.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    I use an old closed cell foam pad, of the Wal-Mart variety, cut down to about the length of my rump to my toes. It's about 1/2" and a rectangle. Got down to upper 30's in October and I never felt a cold spot on my legs or heels.
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

I have the Thermarest z-seat that I have used with great success! I got it on sale a few years ago! Any pad will work, although the colder it is the thicker pad you will want/need, JMO HYOH n all that jazz!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    GT UL, WBBB1.7sl, Taveler1.7sl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4s
    Insulation
    Yeti 3s, UGQ Top
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm a recent convert from the ground and I usually carried a sit pad but it would be way too small for my feet. I was leaning towards a CCF pad but it looks like everyone likes the Thermarest. What about down booties? At what temp do you feel that you would not need them?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    IME these are happy responses which don't acknowledge the pad moving around during the night, winding up beside or above your legs. I haven't found the right-size and flexibility pad yet or the way to secure it to the hammock so it is underneath all night. HF member (and leighlo consultant) Hangnout threads his pad to the UQ.

Also, if you don't need or want a sit pad, then you might want more comfort from something which is likely softer. For me, the 3/8" 10mm Walmart blue foam pad is not it. So far, my best answer is multiple layers of successively larger resilient thick wool socks for my feet, and fleece pants. Maybe it is because I am a wintertime bicyclist, but notice that footballers do OK with bare legs in winter. So, it may be that only the feet below your knees that need lots of insulation to keep your legs comfortable.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-15-2012 at 20:43. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    IME these are happy responses which don't acknowledge the pad moving around during the night, winding up beside or above your legs. I haven't found the right-size and flexibility pad yet or the way to secure it to the hammock so it is underneath all night. HF member (and leighlo consultant) Hangnout threads his pad to the UQ.
    I didn't say this because mine doesn't end up where yours does! Also my pad is a folding type which is completely different than the self inflating (or blow up) kind, as it was said JMO!

FWIW you might not want to put words in others mouths or make statements for others!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Thermarest pad goes in the footbox of my TQ. Also have a square of reflectix for a sit-pad and float that in the hammy as needed.
    Good for me.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I like my therm-a-rest z-seat. Its a comfy sit pad and works well to keep my heals warm in the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Maybe it is because I am a wintertime bicyclist, but notice that footballers do OK with bare legs in winter. So, it may be that only the feet below your knees that need warmth to keep your legs comfortable.
    I'd disagree with this. I've had the pad and TQ slide down so that there was no longer a seal between the UQ and the pad- this makes a gap where cold air keeps dumping into the UQ. It's hard to figure out the problem until you put your hand down and feel that gap. I think you'd always have that gap if you only had a tiny footpad with a 2/3 UQ.

Also, I run in 30 degree weather wearing shorts, but also wear longsleeve shirts. Footballers and the like have their body heater running full steam, so the legs don't needs layers around them like we do when sleeping. No way I'd stand around very long in shorts when it's 30 degrees out, much less sleep without layers on my legs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast