DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie

gone to the ground?

the only thing holding me back from changing to an uq from a pad is the possibilty of going to the ground. that brought up a question... i was just wondering whos had to go to the ground. if you have how would you have packed differently to be better prepared for this? if not, what do you currently pack to be prepared.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Since going hammock all the way....I have never had to go to ground. I plan trips with trees available.
    That said if I had to go to ground I would just manage. I have a small pad for feet I carry and a bit of reflectix (14"x14"). I would gather forest duff and leaves and lay me down to sleep.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    I roll a 79" x 20 x 1/8 eva foam pad for long trips. JIC type thing. Same stuff Shug uses I just keep a whole sheet. I double it for legs, use it as a pack frame or in the event I can go to ground or shelter. Now Ive never needed it for ground in my short experience with hammocks but the comfort is there.

But I do use an underquilt all the time.

I have a small zlite pad I use as my backpad for my pack plus the Eva sheet for the winter months. Then I scrap the zlite pad and keep just the Eva pad and my empty pack for insultion in the warmer.
    Last edited by 2Tall; 02-15-2012 at 17:04. Reason: afterthought

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I figure that Like Shug, I will never go to ground. No trees where I am, I'll walk till I get to some.
    That being said, I do have a tiny pad as part of the "Frame" in my ULA Ohm pack, so could use that to make my night a bit less miserable. AND, I am proficient at setting up my tarp without there being any trees, as my first "tent" was a tarp. Yea, I'll be miserable, but only for one night, and as we all know, a bad night in the woods is better than a good day in the city!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

My pack is a frameless pack so I use a torso length pad as a frame for structure and weight transferee to me hips, I also carry a sit pad that is used as both a sit pad and under my feet in the footbox of my topquilt!

I have gone to ground many times, some by choice and some, --well--, had no choice!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I to have not layer on the ground since starting to use hammocks. It may have been Dutch but there is a quote on the forums that goes something like "why would I sleep on the ground, I pee on the ground."
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    We all have our irrational fears - I fear running my tarp ridgeline under my tarp so I always run it over the tarp - I'm afraid the ridgeline will wear on the tarp.

A lot of new members have the "what if I have to go to ground?" irrational fear. I just don't understand this fear. When I ask people about why they worry about it, they say stuff like, "what if you were camping in a meadow?" Now why would I camp in a meadow if I have a hammock?

Another scenario would be high winds or sideways rain that might make someone want to go to ground. Well, I kind of share this fear of high winds so I've tested hanging in these conditions with up to 40 mph gusts. It ain't comfy, which is why I made myself some Tyvek doors. I'm gonna get myself a 4-season tarp with doors so I can be comfortable in any weather.

Like others have said, I can't even imagine a scenario where I would go to ground. If I went camping somewhere without trees, I'd probably just take a tent.

What scenarios do you envision that would send you to ground?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    We all have our irrational fears - I fear running my tarp ridgeline under my tarp so I always run it over the tarp - I'm afraid the ridgeline will wear on the tarp.

A lot of new members have the "what if I have to go to ground?" irrational fear. I just don't understand this fear. When I ask people about why they worry about it, they say stuff like, "what if you were camping in a meadow?" Now why would I camp in a meadow if I have a hammock?

Another scenario would be high winds or sideways rain that might make someone want to go to ground. Well, I kind of share this fear of high winds so I've tested hanging in these conditions with up to 40 mph gusts. It ain't comfy, which is why I made myself some Tyvek doors. I'm gonna get myself a 4-season tarp with doors so I can be comfortable in any weather.

Like others have said, I can't even imagine a scenario where I would go to ground. If I went camping somewhere without trees, I'd probably just take a tent.

Well said SS. My feelings as well.
    If the weather turned so bad you can't setup your tarp for a hammock you won't be able to set it up as a tent.
    In weather that bad you just hunker down in the safest place you can find quickly and wait it out.
    There will probably be no sleeping.

hth

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

My setup precautions would.be for mainly thru hikes or long distance where the terrain varies. Otherwise plan accordingly to the trip/terrain/ weather and enjoy the ride

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I've ended up on the ground a bunch of times. I keep a shorty neoair pad, a piece of Tyvek with me, and I use my pack under my legs.

It works well. I don't really mind it much at all but if hanging is an option, I'll almost always choose it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast