The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    So has anyone taken the OP's design and turned into an SLS with adjustable RL? Theoretically, couldn't you use a little more rope than he says, cut it somewhere above the hammock, bury one side through the other and have an adjusting tail like you would to make a whoopie sling? Then you'd have your SLS system and still be able to adjust your sag without having to untie the clovehitch! Maybe something to toy around with in the future, but for now I'll stick to separate whoopie slings.

Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    So has anyone taken the OP's design and turned into an SLS with adjustable RL? Theoretically, couldn't you use a little more rope than he says, cut it somewhere above the hammock, bury one side through the other and have an adjusting tail like you would to make a whoopie sling? Then you'd have your SLS system and still be able to adjust your sag without having to untie the clovehitch! Maybe something to toy around with in the future, but for now I'll stick to separate whoopie slings.
    Mine's set up with lines connecting to rings on each end of the hammock with a long whoopie sling between the rings for a ridgeline. I have a sleeping bag that wraps around the hammock and without a removable ridgeline it was a huge pain to set up and tear down.

Images

Sls

Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I use a single line suspension with adjustable ridgeline on my hammocks. It is somewhat similar to the OP's setup, except I don't use the clovehitch. I just run the line from my hammock, up to a tree hugger, back down to my hammock, across, through the ring on the other side of the hammock, to the other treehugger, then back to the hammock to tie off. With this set up, I can re-center the hammock (by sliding back and forth), and adjust overall tension/sag, by adjusting just the one line. It does require about 30' of line for this set up.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    ScottO, how do you lock your hammock in place with that design; it sounds like it would move around pretty freely.

Images
    I have sewn loops at the end of my treehuggers. I stick a bight of the SLS through the treehugger loop and lock it in with a toggle (looks like a marlinspike hitch, but works a little different). The nice part is that to take the hammock down, just pull the toggles, and the hammock/suspension is disconnected from the treehuggers. I've been meaning to post pics of my set up....just can't seem to find the time to tackle it...

Hammock
    Crinkled Taffeta
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Insulation
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Sorry, I didn't read all 10 pages, so if this has been mentioned I'll just delete this post.

Could you eliminate the rings in this set up and use a prusik knot to attach the amsteeled ends of the hammock to the main line?

Then it would be adjustable with very little gear and less weight.
    Technically the RL is not adjustable here though. But it should have the same effect right?

Images
    Could you eliminate the rings in this set up and use a prusik knot to attach the amsteeled ends of the hammock to the main line?

I think the bugger that most run into with prusiks is that you need to prusik a smaller line to a larger (main support) line. It'll work, but then you're carrying heavier main suspension line, offsetting the benefit....cruel, cruel world...

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Headchange, as I 'm a newbie, I have no real experience but have made a tablecloth hammock and tried 2 suspension types. When I hear single line suspension, I think of a single line connecting to the connection points at the tree straps. But when I look at the pics I see that you have double lines connecting to each descending ring and a single line extending between the rings. There appears to be little material, thus weight difference between your single line and whoppies with a fixed ridgeline.

I don't have amsteel yet but have installed a couple of D rings in my office to try out hanging. So far I've slept in a hammock for the last 7 days. And after changing to my version of the single line, I had the best nights rest yet. I only had utility cord (REI) rated @ 400#, so I doubled it in consideration of breakage at the knots, and attached one end via larks head to one D ring, and snugged the other end thru a carabiner with a few overlapping wraps with a slippery half hitch. The span between the D rings is 12'2", the hammock is 116" and the distance between the rings is 100". I used Grizz's simple wrap technique to secure the rings on the single line and from the rings to the larks head on the whipping is 5.25". My D rings in the walls are @ 5' so I can't get the descender rings much closer than 98" before I'm on the ground. Boy I wished I'd put those higher!

My questions are:

1) Why is there a need to secure the single line at the descender rings? To stay dry under the tarp for adjustment in rain?

2) What is the "normal" or average height for the tree strap since the 5' mark is putting me so close to the ground?

3) How much does the amsteel stretch? The utility cord seems to have a good bit of stretch and I wanted to see what to expect with amsteel.

4) When using the SLS do you secure the tarp above or below the tree straps? How far?

5) When selecting a tarp should I look for one that can be hung w/out a ridgeline to minimize the potential for water to follow the ridgeline under the tarp?

Thanks for the write up, I feel like I'm going to hammock school here!

Hammock
    Crinkled Taffeta
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Insulation
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    I'll answer the one I know.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    3) How much does the amsteel stretch? The utility cord seems to have a good bit of stretch and I wanted to see what to expect with amsteel.

It doesn't. In my limited experience with AmSteel it's pretty much steel cable in disguise.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    1) Descender rings are how you adjust the angle of your hang. They're an improvised cinch buckle that go taught under tension. For a diagonal hang you want about 30* between the drape of your hammock and parallel with the ground. Easy way to approximate is to take your index finger and thumb and make a "gun" or the letter "L", the angle from your thumb (vertical) and index finger (horizontal) is about 30*.

2) if you're at 5' and you're still hitting the ground, adjust your angle by shortening your suspension.

3) Amsteel doesn't stretch, one of its highly sought after qualities.

4) I'm not sure if SLS changes anything, most people have their hammock anchor higher than their tarps.

5) tie little tails onto the ridgeline, outside of how you're connecting the tarp to the RL, to direct water away. But this shouldn't happen much with a tarp line as it should be fairly straight, the hammock suspension will trail water a lot more.
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast