DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Answered my own question last night.... While the two carbonfiber toggle held my weight they were not happy .... I could hear them creak as I loaded the hammock, picked up a 4' piece of 3/8" 6061 alum solid rod for $3 at local supply shop.... Think this will be a much better option....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I've been hanging for a couple years now using a very similar single line suspension idea. For me, I hate cutting rope incase I need it for something else. That was before I had heard of whoopieslings. I'm currently hanging on a double ended single line whoopiesling and love it. Personally I found that it keeps much more of the original strength in the rope and leaves the ridgeline semi adjustable.

I hadn't looked around to see if anyone else was, but it is definately nice to know someone else has given it a try.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    DIY-needs doors
    Insulation
    CC foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Awesome: As a noob working up a "method" for my first "made by me" this is a wonderfully simple way to do it...thank you.

SB

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    I tried this today, but I had some problems. My rings kept sliding down the ridgeline when I got on the hammock. I used a non jamming hitch (can't find the name now) to hold it in place. Even after solving the problem with the rings sliding, I had difficulty getting a nice hang. This is the first time I've tried a structural ridgeline. I read that it should get tighter when I get in, but I don't see how that is possible.

Could it be my cord. I'm not sure the specs. It's old "Spectra" cord from when I did a lot of climbing. It's way overkill, but it's what I have (some Amsteel is on the way). I've used it for years on my old hammock. It seemed like there was a lot of sag.

Unfortunately I'm realizing my old stand is too short. I need to rig up another place to hang at home. At least I got to spend a couple hours in the woods playing with it. We've had shockingly nice weather for Dec.

Maybe it's my tree straps. They could be stretching. I don't use them with my stand, so maybe that's why I don't have trouble at home.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies

ridgeline question

Can a HH ULBA be modified to use this structural ridgeline idea? The area where the line attaches is not readily available as the hammock comes. It is covered with a silnylon covering.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm sure this has been done but I have allways had one line and treehugers. That's it. no rings. I used the gathered end method my suspension line goes straight through the sphincter at the end of the hammock. I used a piece of gutted paracord through the draw string channel and reverse a couple of halfhitches. just inside the peak i tie a simple knot on and alluminum mini biner. pull tight into the peak and repeat for the other side. biner can be easily adjusted to alter the length of the ridgeline. Even those aren't necessary, a knot will do, they just come in handy. now I've switched to whoopies. I'm going to try a ridge line out of 1.74 lashit for version 2.0 but first ive made a double ended whoopie all in one. KISS!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    hc4u, Thanks for a relatively simple system that allows quick changes to sag, gathers, etc. New to hanging and I find this sls great for experimenting. I must have tried every gather type described on HF and some new ones, rl lenghts in 2" increments. All in one day. Culling now looking for that 'sweet spot'. Had some bull line, a type of mule tape 1250#, on hand. Four wraps around rings, holds tight, loosens easily. Thanks again.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by grok View Post
    I'm sure this has been done but I have allways had one line and treehugers. That's it. no rings. I used the gathered end method my suspension line goes straight through the sphincter at the end of the hammock. I used a piece of gutted paracord through the draw string channel and reverse a couple of halfhitches. just inside the peak i tie a simple knot on and alluminum mini biner. pull tight into the peak and repeat for the other side. biner can be easily adjusted to alter the length of the ridgeline. Even those aren't necessary, a knot will do, they just come in handy. now I've switched to whoopies. I'm going to try a ridge line out of 1.74 lashit for version 2.0 but first ive made a double ended whoopie all in one. KISS!
    Wouldn't that put the whipping under stress? I really need to get those pictures taken of my solution.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    hc4u, Thanks for a relatively simple system that allows quick changes to sag, gathers, etc. New to hanging and I find this sls great for experimenting. I must have tried every gather type described on HF and some new ones, rl lenghts in 2" increments. All in one day. Culling now looking for that 'sweet spot'. Had some bull line, a type of mule tape 1250#, on hand. Four wraps around rings, holds tight, loosens easily. Thanks again.
    I tried wrapping the line around the rings, but it still moved when I got in the hammock. Maybe Mule Tape will work better then the thicker spectra cord I used. I have 3 whoopies now. the 2 ends and the RL attached to the rings.

I will be doing more test hanging again with the new system soon. I'll take pics and post them.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    probably not what you would want to cut ounces but I'm just experimenting. 40' of mule tape, tripled wrapped thru 2, 1 1/2" welded steel rings with 2, 20" loops of mule tape larksheaded thru rings and larkheaded to gathered ends of 126"x54" of hemmed polyester. While playing with different gathers I started whipping with rubber bands, ended just using the larkshead on the gather. No slips, slides or bruises. The wraps in the rings tend to stack against each other and lock until loosened.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hikelite View Post
    Wouldn't that put the whipping under stress? I really need to get those pictures taken of my solution.
    heh heh I'm 5'7" and weigh 150 lbs. I can whip it with dental floss. I honestly don't think it would matter if I weighed 300. One line no structural knots very strong. 5 lashings of 550 cord on each end will hold alot of weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast