Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    Tobi, how is your hammock connected to the SLS?

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro (First Hammock)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teach_em View Post
    Tobi, how is your hammock connected to the SLS?
    My current setup is a knot (think stopper knot in a soft shackle) at the end of a section of rope that is spliced into the SLS using the method shown in this picture. I then larks head the continious loop of the hammock over the rope and the knot stops it from slipping off. I have amsteel continous loops, so it locks tightly, but it's kind of tough to undo after the hammock has been loaded, so I may go back to a fixed eye off the SLS and a soft shackle. I'd like to have some kind of buried loop like a soft shackle that locks around the knot, but I don't think the forces are in the proper directions for that to work.

BTW, my stopper knot is based on the stopper knot in this soft shackle.
    http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/improvedsoftshackle.pdf

Description of the splice into the main line.
    EyeSpliceSmaller.jpg

Picture of hammock larks headed to knot. (I'm holding the stopper knot, the hammock is to the lower right.)
    IMAG0029.jpg

At first I thought this was a taught line hitch. I tied this with a small rope, and it slips very easily. Then I tried a the taught line, and it held better. Can you share the advantage of this stopper knot?
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro (First Hammock)
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    At first I thought this was a taught line hitch. I tied this with a small rope, and it slips very easily. Then I tried a the taught line, and it held better. Can you share the advantage of this stopper knot?
    My goal was a way to connect amsteel of the same diameter as the main line without causing damage to the main line. When the tail is buried into the main line, it's almost impossible for it to slip. It is very similar to a taught line hitch, but burying the tail in the main line helps lock it into place. It's not intended to be adjustable. I was just trying to find a splice that would not move and cause the least amount of damage to the line. I need to use it for while then take it apart and inspect the line to see what it's doing to the line.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    IMG_7300[1].jpg
    This photo shows my sliding UCR attachment points for the hammock on the main suspension line. I just estimated the length of the UCR necessary. I think it's about 7 inches. Seems to work well and not slip. There's a taught-line hitch at the far end keeping the sheath tight, and a fixed eye loop where the hammock attaches. This allows very easy adjustability for differently spaced trees. I also like to slide the hammock toward one tree or the other for shade or if it looks like rain.

IMG_7302[1].jpg
    Here you can see the soft shackle attachment to the sliding UCR. I loop the soft shackle through the fixed eye in the UCR then OVER the suspension line. This eliminates angular stress on the insertion point in the UCR and keeps all tension directly in line with the UCR.

IMG_7299[1].jpg
    This shows the method I use to tension the main suspension line. The descender ring has 4-5 loops of amsteel to allow for adjustability but it remains static once tension is on the suspension. The SLS goes through a 'biner at the treehugger, back to the ring, then back through the 'biner again giving me a mechanical advantage for tensioning. I finish it off with several wraps around the 'biner and a few half-hitches.

This method has served me well over a few backpacking trips, including one in miserable rainy weather. I only need to retighten once. I string everything up, weight the hammock, then tighten.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Nice setup Teach_em.

This might be a crazy idea, but have you ever tried a single line suspension system where you hang each end of the hammock from a descender ring with 4-5 wraps? In this fashion you could adjust the positioning of the hammock and the RL length by sliding the two rings along the continuous suspension line when the hammock is not under load. I'm concerned as to whether the descender rings would stay in place throughout the night. Has anyone tried this?

HC4U: have you tried replacing the clove hitches on the rings with just 4-5 wraps?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    Aero,
    I did try something like that in the early iterations of my system. Instead of rings, I used 'biners with 4-5 wraps. I abandoned it in favor of the UCRs because they can be adjusted while the suspension line is tight. No need to loosen, adjust, tighten, loosen, adjust, tighten, etc. Plus, it was fun tinkering with the Amsteel. In retrospect I think i should have used 1/8 Amsteel just for a little peace of mind. Maybe I'll pick some up and then have all that 7/64 to play with.

Images
    Nice thread, I totally missed this one!
    Came up with my own SLS (didn't know what that meant) using a UCR/Whoopie combo (Whoo-CR)
    Continuous-Suspension-Ridgeline-system-with-UCR-Whoopie-Combo

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    Gadget, I saw your videos while poking around for ideas and like the LoopAlien setup. I don't see the large LAs on his website anymore except the Ti version. Like the concept, don't like the $20 per unit on the large Ti Alien. Where/when did you get yours? Also saw in the video you have different colors? Anodized aluminum?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    FWIW I saw people selling knock offs somewhere, but I don't remember where... I hope the inventor got IP protection (patents, etc.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast