kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That HH tarp is substantially smaller than an 8x8 as mentioned, FWIW.
    ah, good to know. i've not had much experience with diamond tarps.... but i do find them extremely interesting, gleaming with simplicity.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Thanks guys. I have had great luck working with Joe in the past so will give him a ring about an 8x8 tarp as soon as my tax refund shows up. Amen for getting something back this year.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

another 8x8 diag. vote

The 8x8 JRB square tarp has a finished size of 7'2" by 7'2" so its diagonal is very near 10'. A true 8x8 from Joe @ Zpacks will be well over 11' on that dimension.

Measure your hammock ridgeline to know 'zactly what that number is. An extra foot of tarp overhanging on each end is suggested so UL could go with 8 or 9 inches on each end. Got a rain skirt to use as a door on one end, or are you using the HH tarp as a rain cape to save weight? Joe can likely put a zipper on your tarp to make it into a hoodless rain cape if Tom Hennessey has not patented that idea.

Standard printer paper is 8.5 by 11.5 inches so get a ruler and some scissors and start to model (1" = 1') what 8x8, 7x9, 8.5x8.5 (double width of cuben) diagonal rigged tarps will look like. With the models folded on the diagonals, use the ruler to measure the ridgeline if you don't like doing square roots on the calculator.

Consider choosing a hex shaped tarp with narrow side hex ends and with a line connecting each pair of those side hex points. Stake that line in the middle so you still only need one stake on each side, but each stake will need to be strongly placed. Where I hike, I can tie to rocks or deadman sticks held by rocks.

Papa Smurf (on this forum) does have the best selection of Ti rod stakes, both different diameter rods and different lengths.
    Last edited by heyyou; 02-16-2012 at 01:52. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sounds like you have the tarp sorted out, but I have one suggestion.

If you are going SUL, why not skip the dutch clips and just run the tree straps around the tree and back through the end loop? You save the weight and only lose a couple of seconds setting up.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I like the idea of going clipless but I remember reading how friction can melt the straps together. Is this a myth?
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    I'll just toss another vote in. I love my JRB 8x8 and have weathered some pretty nasty storms under it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That HH tarp is substantially smaller than an 8x8 as mentioned, FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    ah, good to know. i've not had much experience with diamond tarps.... but i do find them extremely interesting, gleaming with simplicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    The 8x8 JRB square tarp has a finished size of 7'2" by 7'2" so its diagonal is very near 10'. A true 8x8 from Joe @ Zpacks will be well over 11' on that dimension.

Measure your hammock ridgeline to know 'zactly what that number is. An extra foot of tarp overhanging on each end is suggested so UL could go with 8 or 9 inches on each end. Got a rain skirt to use as a door on one end, or are you using the HH tarp as a rain cape to save weight? Joe can likely put a zipper on your tarp to make it into a hoodless rain cape if Tom Hennessey has not patented that idea.

Standard printer paper is 8.5 by 11.5 inches so get a ruler and some scissors and start to model (1" = 1') what 8x8, 7x9, 8.5x8.5 (double width of cuben) diagonal rigged tarps will look like. With the models folded on the diagonals, use the ruler to measure the ridgeline if you don't like doing square roots on the calculator.

The stock HH tarps are listed as 11ft/132" ridgeline for the smaller 9.4 oz Backpacker models, and 137"- 11 ft 5"- for the 11.7 oz Explorer models. I have found them(Explorers) to be at least this size, and maybe a tad bigger. But it is a 5.8 ft by 9.2 ft Parallelagram, however that might actually compare to a 8x8 sq.

Any way, for me the main challenge with the HH diamond tarp is getting adequate coverage AND a tight pitch. My coverage is much better when I attach to HH suspension Prussicks as originally designed. Coverage is pretty good this way, but then I have to resort to all sorts of tricks to minimize the flapping of the tarp after I get in.

This tarp can be pitched nice and tight if tied to the trees, but then- even with the hammock attached higher on the trees than the tarp, I never feel well covered from sideways rain or wind.

If I use the HH Super Shelter with this system, then coverage is as bomb proof as it comes, at least as good as with a much larger tarp. Coverage might even be adequate with the tarp attached to the trees. Can't say for sure.

That is just my experience. Some others seem to have OK coverage with this tarp attached to trees.
    Apparently, signature that I used from 2006 no longer tolerated so now deleted.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nels5711 View Post
    I like the idea of going clipless but I remember reading how friction can melt the straps together. Is this a myth?

Not sure if it's a myth but so far it is for me...

I run the steady end of my whoopiesling through one end of the tree hugger with a larks head. That part gets through the loop on the other side (once around the tree). So normally I have webbing on webbing and no melting.

The adjustable loop goes to a softshakle or a karabiner at the head&foot end of the hammock.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nels5711 View Post
    Is this a myth?
    It could happen with smooth nylon webbing. But it doesn't happen with polypro, and polyester webbing.. Both of the latter are commonly recommended because they also don't stretch.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I'm using the ones from opie so will try this method over the weekend. If all goes well I will ditch the dutch clips. Never droping my dutch fly though. For the weight makes my full tarp ridgeline so much easier.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet