Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

Army Bivy "Sleeping bag" as TQ?

I dont have one of these yet, but in my search for something to go to ground with i got to thinking about getting an army bivy and the summer sleeping bag.

anyone think that the sleeping bag portion could be used as a TQ until better comes along? any opinions at all really would help.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    If it's the same one I'm thinking of be careful in your hammock. The zipper pull is huge and kind of sharp. Don't stab a hole in your hammock or start a tear.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Any TQ suited for the temps works great in a bivy bag, you don't need a sleeping bag for ground work. So just get the bivy bag and a pad, since I assume you have both TQ and UQ?

Plus, when you're on ground (and here I suggest an insulated inflatable pad, Exped Downmat ftw), your UQ gets freed up, giving you that much extra fluff for TQ if it gets colder at night.

A sleeping bag is just a lot of extra work getting in and out compared to a quilt.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    PM sent with TQ information.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    REV,

I have the entire ECWS system. I find it quite comfy for ground use. I have used the bags in my hammock as a TQ, very effectively. I was a little concerned about the huge zippers at first, but I just double check they are at the footend and never had any problems. I've used it that way maybe a dozen times.

The problem with those surplus Army bags, I've found, is they aren't cared for very well. The insulation gets smashed and losses most of it's loft by the time they reach a civilian market. They will keep you warm still but forget -20*F; mine is more like 0*F maybe.

I've been working to convert the green (summer) bag into a psuedo-pod. The foot end wasn't too bad. (get out the seam ripper) It's the head end I'm aprehensive about opening up.

If weight & size isn't much concern to you. I think they are a great inexpensive way to get into camping/backpacking.

YMMV

-A.A.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    And comparatively, most mil issue sleeping bags are considered to be pretty heavy by most civilian hikers.

I don't have the new system, but still have my ICW bag from way back in the day. Slept in it several times in my hammock, and it works great. It's just heavy by most modern day standards.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have the intermediate bag (-10 rated) from the newer 5 piece MSS system and ACU Goretex bivy that I got at the local Army/Navy store. I unzip that combo all the way down and use it as a TQ like Shug shows in his video. It has worked great for me. I have had it down into the mid 30's with a down sleeping bag I converted to an UQ, and I was half past toasty! I like having that water resistant bivy in case I have to go to ground or the weather turns nasty too. I don't have the lighter bag in the system yet, but will probably get that sometime.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Building my own
    I got one of the MSS (Im pretty sure its the exact same thing as the ECWSS). Its really not to bad. The bivy is 20 or 22 oz, the patrol bag (32*) is 38oz, and the intermediate bag (0*) is 56oz. Ive use the patrol bag with my JBR nest and been comfortable down to 26*.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    my old set up was just an old canvas brazillian style hammock with my army pad and ECW mummy bag from the late 80's. It is a beast and weighs in around 7 pounds but it is roasty toasty. I actually cut the zipper out and just used the snaps. I am a warm sleeper and that helps me vent at night when I get too warm.

I used that rig in well below zero and no complaints. It is the bag my son is using this weekend.
    We never fail when we try to do our duty, we always fail when we neglect to do it. -- Robert Baden-Powell

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Homemade Nylon
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That's all I use. I don't own a TQ. Summer Green bag for summer and Black bag for winter. Might try modifying my Bivy for an UQ wind cover, but haven't decided yet.

• + New Posts