Thread: pad vs. u-quilt

pad vs. u-quilt

New at this and in putting together my first hanging setup I'm convinced to go bridge but the waffle point is whether to go double bottom and use a pad or just go to various weight under quilts based on the temp. I've built a single layer indoor bridge and failed miserably to sleep on a pad inside the hammock (wad/straighten repeated all night). Possibly skipping the double layer bottom is about the weight , right? helllllllp!

I have a HH and I tried their supershelter with pad. I replaced that with just using the JRB nest underquilt with their outer weathershield. Much more warmth and comfort, with no condensation.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    pad vs quilt is a chocolate vs vanilla question on this forum.

Lots of pros and cons for each, and it boils down to personal preference. You need to try both and pick the one that fits you best. I use an u-quilt all the time. I have a lightweight for summer and a loftier down for all other times.

In my mind, the main advantage for pads is, you can go to ground if you have to, for whatever reason. With a u-quilt its hang every time (hike till you find something to hang from) or an "indian" night without any ground insulation.

The main advantages for u-quilt; less bulk, more warmth/weight ratio, comfort.

Double layer bottoms can have 2 functions: 1) strength if using a weak fabric, and 2) a place to hold things. If using it for #2 then it can be an extremely light weight fabric, so total weight isn't a big deal. Lots of folk put the pad in the space between the layers to improve the comfort.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    A factor to consider in your double bottom/underquilt situation is where and how cold will you be sleeping? The double bottom/pad option and an underquilt would give you more range for your setup. An extra ~1.5yd of material for a double bottom shouldn't add too much weight.

A few nights ago I hung out in the HH with the Undercover/Underpad combo and a 40F Marmot Atom. Night temp dropped to 42F. Needed to pull on the fleece. Ok, but not like toasty warm. Same conditions earlier with the JRB Nest & Weather Shield. Much warmer. In the previous life as a ground sleeper the Atom was fine at 40F.

At this point with my limited experience I'll pack the Nest/WS for conditions below 45F. The lighter UC?UP for warmer conditions. Next test will be with an addition of a space blanket to the UC/UP combo and see if I can stay warm down to 40F.

clodbuster, hope you are dry down there. The news of the flooding sound real bad.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'm assuming your going to build a bridge again versus buying a JRB bridge?
    My JRB bridge with double bottom and homemade DIY bridge with double bottom sleep just as well with pads as with underquilt alone. I sure cant say that with other hammocks I've used.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

decisions

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone. Think I'll go double bottom just to have all options open. We're in a hilltop village always above the flood unless Noah floats by. Not all roads in to town are open though. Rivers are finally dropping since it hasn't rained for two days in a row,

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clodbuster View Post
    New at this and in putting together my first hanging setup I'm convinced to go bridge but the waffle point is whether to go double bottom and use a pad or just go to various weight under quilts based on the temp. I've built a single layer indoor bridge and failed miserably to sleep on a pad inside the hammock (wad/straighten repeated all night). Possibly skipping the double layer bottom is about the weight , right? helllllllp!
    all i can say is pads work better with double bottom hammocks than they do with single bottom hammocks.plus all pad are not the sameneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I'm assuming your going to build a bridge again versus buying a JRB bridge?
    My JRB bridge with double bottom and homemade DIY bridge with double bottom sleep just as well with pads as with underquilt alone. I sure cant say that with other hammocks I've used.
    The real point here is that the JRB BMBH has built in pad pocket for pads up to 26 inches wide and 2 inches thick and it has attachment loops for an under quilt.... best of both worlds..... use either or both.... or on a rare summer broiler, neither.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The real point here is that the JRB BMBH has built in pad pocket for pads up to 26 inches wide and 2 inches thick and it has attachment loops for an under quilt.... best of both worlds..... use either or both.... or on a rare summer broiler, neither.

Pan
    I think I could put more than 2 inches of pads in mine. Not that I'm dying to camp in sub zero weather soon. Might be pretty "cool".
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I don’t have an underquilt, but the main ‘con’ seems to be price, with the lesser issue of it getting wet. I’ve yet to hear anyone say they didn’t work to keep them warm.

Pads are of course cheaper, and virtually can’t get wet. I’ve used a pad in my Clark (no double bottom) down to 27˚ and didn’t have any of the sliding pad syndrome that many complain of.

If money is at issue, I’d spend for a quality tarp first, and get the underquilt when you can afford it.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

• + New Posts