Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I personaly did not find them overtly "family unfriendly" but I don't think they added anything much to the thread either. I was called on for putting a post in the wrong category, I can see the point. I get annoyed at having to wade through some posts that just don't add to the point of the thread. Particularly when they are supposed to humorous but the humor escapes me. Sometimes I think it is a matter of continuity rather than censorship. But I do think the moderator would be appropriate to notify the person whose post is pulled.
    You're absolutely right! I am as guilty as the next person of going off topic. I really need to watch that. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I hope that going off topic is the reason why our posts were pulled.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sorry guys. I just got back in.
    What happened was that 4D's kids had started a thread about an upcoming family trip to central park & after I mentioned that from all I had herd about CP (from TV of course), that it could be a dangerous place to hang a hammock & suggested he may need to have some protection w/ him.

I should have known better than to use the word "protection" because some started to talk about another kind of protection rather than a gun, stick, or knife like I had in mind.

I also added that the best kind of protection for what they were talking about was to "run".

4Ds is right though in that we have tried to keep this a "family friendly" web site.
    I have said that myself & I didn't do so well there. So I have to apologize to 4Ds & his family.

Headchange4U had saw this earlier & had deleted some of the "protection" posts because 4Ds had let us know that he wasn't going to let his kids go back & read the thread they had started.

Deleting some of the posts may go against some people's grain, but please try to understand the whole picture.

I have said it before that "I would like this to be a site that I wouldn't mind inviting my nephews & nieces to check out", so again, I apologize to 4Ds & his family. ...Tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images

What?

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Today I went looking for some of my posts and discovered they were missing. ....we'll be censored if we broach certain topics, we should all know that up front.
    What a thread about deleted posts and no name calling, posts of symbols an astrices, smilies beating each other up and distorted definitions of our first admendment rights. im going back to WB

GOOD SITE, Really

Happy Fathers Day

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Very good points in your explaination Slowhike. Speaking for myself, I think you do a great/thankless job with the moderation, and HC4U and AngrySparrow have been great additions.

I, too, want this forum to remain on a more family friendly format. I just think it would be good practice to PM people that their post are being deleted (with explainaton) so that this kind of stuff does not come out in the public formums and paint a bad picture of what we have going here. Another option would be to move the thread to donating members only.

As far as getting off topic, very few post don't stray form topic eventually! In my opinion, that's a lot of how we all get to know each other better and have a little fun! Plus, we all know it drives the moderators crazy Keep up the good work and we'll try to play nice.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I was the one who deleted the posts in the "Central Park" thread because 4D's had said the the direction the conversation had taken had created a somewhat awkward situation with having to explain some of the comments to his family and children who were following the thread. 4D's response (which I also removed) expressed that he was not at all pleased with having to explain the innuendo in the thread to children.

At first I just removed the comments that weren't family/child friendly. I even posted a comment explaining why the edits were made. I then decided that since the thread was about hanging in Central Park, that I would remove any and all comments not related to hanging in Central Park, including original comments, apologies that some made, my comments, and 4D's comment on being displeased.

The posts are still there, but they were effectively removed from view. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes or made anyone mad. I made a decision and I'm gonna stick to it. If it is a thread that young children will be reading, and I don't think I acted inappropriately.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 06-15-2008 at 18:01.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Sounds like everyone needs to cut down on the PC time and actually get out and use their hammocks.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The posts are still there, but they were effectively removed from view. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes or made anyone mad. I made a decision and I'm gonna stick to it. If it is a thread that young children will be reading, and I don't think I acted inappropriately.

I'm not saying that it was an inappropriate response. But it was unprecedented and without warning or even an explanation (until now).

Thank you for posting your reasoning. We're all adults here, and friends too, for the most part. I think we can be given the benefit of the doubt that we can deal with things amongst ourselves in an acceptable way, as we always have in the past, when given the chance.

Maybe if it happens again, you could (with some warning) edit out the text of the posts.

To me the LAST RESORT option here (the "nuclear option") would be to delete the posts, but that shouldn't be the first option.

BTW, I think I did apologize to 4D's for any inappropriate comments, but that post is now not visible.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah, looking forward to some quality hammock time soon. Thanks for reminding me of what's really important Coffee.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

How would you moderators, while bonding with your kids, sharing in HF's esoteric nature explain " frikkin' " (for instance)? What does that allude to? How does one explain that? Why does one need to with Cable TV?

You guys, all, do a great job and I thank you immensely, but kowtowing to some abstract irritation ain't the answer. We'd all be better off just using good English.
    Last edited by daibutsu; 06-15-2008 at 18:41. Reason: cleaning up punctuation

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

Impressed

Gotta say gang, as a relative newbie and a contributing member, I am impressed with both the tone and content of this thread. Way to keep priorities straight, listen, and be respectful. This thread is another reason I am glad to spend some PC time here and get more and more excited about hanging.

BTW, my wife and I are hanging full time now, sleeping in our Claytor JH's on the front porch. Now been nearly two weeks since we have been in our waterbed. Been so dang hot here on occasion, we refuse to use AC for environmental reasons, unplugged the water bed for the same reason, and now we are every night in our hammocks side by side. I am gonna get in mine kinda late tonight though, gotta watch the Celtics win it all in 5. (smile)
    With the exception of the NBA playoffs, we have also shut the television off for the summer.

Again, thanks for the opportunity moderators to be part of this group.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast