Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question To Stealth or Not to Stealth?

I'm considering making a 'stealthy rig" for my next project but one thing that worries me about stealth camping is I usually have to hike away from camp during the night to find a good spot to "make a deposit" and then couldn't find my way back. Seriously I find it interesting but I'm kinda worried about during emergency situations where you need to be located, especially in my case where my trips usually involves hikes through dense jungles.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    will the colors of the rig matter at night?
    I tie a bit of reflective cord on a tree I hang from so that my headlamp picks it out. But I don't hang in the jungle. Another idea is to hang a small LED lamp, lit, on your suspension when you go...and don't go out of eye-shot of that light.

how about bring 100 ft of very lightweight cord, tie it to the tree and unwind it as you go out, wrap it up on the way back.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    My Solution to "loosing" my camp at night...

4sevens Preon 1 - high beacon mode w/ a chap stick lid for a diffuser. This lil thing has faithfully led me home many many a time; half asleep & half drunk, sometimes both.

The beacon mode makes a single flash every 10 seconds and can run for days. There is also a low beacon if you prefer.

Love my 4sevens handy dandy lil light. Not exactly cheap though.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    how about bring 100 ft of very lightweight cord, tie it to the tree and unwind it as you go out, wrap it up on the way back.
    One of my hiking buddies does just this but he brings two 100-foot lengths of mason line. He ties one to the food bag and the other line is for, well, deposits. He follows the line if he has to get up in the night. So far he hasn't gotten the lines mixed up and deposited near his food.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    FL UQ of UK Hamm..
    Suspension
    Just went Whoopies
    Hei,

For you to find back to your camp at night maybe you could put a flashlight inside your tarp to illuminate the location of it.

For emergency use, to get help from outsiders please consider a "Personal Locator Beacon" purchase.
    - These are registered to a person and are telling your location by help of GPS to the rescue centre whom will rely the distress message.

These are good ones cause some of them are having a "everything is all right" message so you can rely your status and location to the people back home as well.

Prices are coming down and they are not big on size or weight.

Br Simo

For those night time comfort calls you may find alittle Photon Microlight very useful. They are key chain lights, very light and dependabe. I keep one attached to my ridgeline and use it for many things. When leaving the hammock I leave it on and can easily see the hammock at night, sort of like a lighthouse. I personally like the green light vs the red, a bit more light. Its comforting to have a back-up light available also. As far as disappearing into the jungle....You better know what you are doing and are willing to accept the RISKS as well as the rewards. IMHO It's always better to err on the side of caution and that line changes with experience.

They make spools like this for cave diving or attachment to floats. Even attach to the belt for hands-free convenience.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    +1 on the beacon. I carry one on my solo hikes. I've heard the ones you can send messages from can be unreliable compared to the regular emergency ones. I gave a yellow one I got from Rei online can't remember the brand but its the only yellow one. No fees and I'm told it works, luckily I've never needed it. Really makes the family feel more comfortable as well.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    +1 to a beacon or flashlight hung off one end of your hammock

J
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great idea. I always carry a 50ft cord for tarp lines backup, I'll just have to add more length to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    One of my hiking buddies does just this but he brings two 100-foot lengths of mason line. He ties one to the food bag and the other line is for, well, deposits. He follows the line if he has to get up in the night. So far he hasn't gotten the lines mixed up and deposited near his food.
    Lol I can imagine what happens if one of my hiking buddies gets too drunk and mixed it up and look for food.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 02-17-2012 at 22:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast