Tarp
    Modified WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Images

Cheap Underquilt Idea - input

I know it's been done before. I've read a couple of threads on this site, but I wanted get some feedback regarding the insulation factor. I'm thinking of taking two 40 deg sleeping bags, lay about one to two inches of polyfill between them and stitching them together. I'm hoping to drop the rating to maybe 30 deg or better. The sleeping bags are $10 each at Wally World and the pollyfill probably another $15 to $20. I have some Parachord that I can stitch in or maybe I'll invest in some shock cord for attaching it to my hammock.

This is would be a temporary solution until I can invest in a real underquilt. I'm hoping to test this on a Scout Outing in March.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is gonna be heavy dangling under your hammock so it may take more work to make sure that the double sleeping bag UQ stays snug up against your back and buttocks.
    But carry on.......let us know how it goes.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may have better luck trying to rig a sleeping bag as a pod. I don't know how big you are, and if the bag is big enough to do that, but this may keep you warmer. Just my $.02.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by rich5665 View Post
    I know it's been done before. I've read a couple of threads on this site, but I wanted get some feedback regarding the insulation factor. I'm thinking of taking two 40 deg sleeping bags, lay about one to two inches of polyfill between them and stitching them together. I'm hoping to drop the rating to maybe 30 deg or better. The sleeping bags are $10 each at Wally World and the pollyfill probably another $15 to $20. I have some Parachord that I can stitch in or maybe I'll invest in some shock cord for attaching it to my hammock.

This is would be a temporary solution until I can invest in a real underquilt. I'm hoping to test this on a Scout Outing in March.

My .02...

I fooled around with makeshift UQ's for months and months to no avail. I spent probably twice as much $$ as I would have just buying a ready made UQ and have really NOTHING to show for it.

I finally broke down and bought a used UQ here on the forum, and it was worth every penny. Bought another one a couple of weeks ago and sold the first one just this morning on the forum.

They hold their value well, whereas a cobbled up one will only be worth what use you can get out of it yourself.

That being said, I really don't know your financial situation, but I say if you can squeeze the $$ from somewhere, buy a good UQ from either the for sale section here, or one of the fine vendors that support this site. You will not be disappointed.

I wish I had taken my own advice...

Hammock
    DIY by Raiffnuke
    Tarp
    Modified WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Images
    I opted to use my poncho liner for now, I carrying it with me anyway and two sleeping bags just seems to be overkill. At some point I'll make my own UQ. There are some great tutorials on this site. So I'll practice first with a new Hammock, then a new tarp and a couple of stuff sacks to put them in. Once I'm feeling comfortable with my thread injector, I'll try making a quilt.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    i recently transformed a old 50* sleeping bag into an uq, and have brought it down into the 20s. i just cut the bag to size, sewed channels into it, and am currently using paracord. no problems so far, and will be upgrading to shock cord soon.
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Two 40* bags plus poly fill between them would likely get you to near 0* if not lower depending upon how hot/cold of a sleeper you are. Of course the weight of it would be my main concern. Would likely need some bracing tie outs to hook onto a ridgline to keep it up against you.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You could get a couple of yards of ripstop, along with a couple yards of poly fill, sew the poly to the edges of the ripstop & then attach some shockcord to each end. Relatively easy sewing (or you could find someone to sew for you) and cheap.

Thumbs up hey kid....check out Sgt. Rocks poncho liner UQ.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    I opted to use my poncho liner for now, I carrying it with me anyway and two sleeping bags just seems to be overkill. At some point I'll make my own UQ. There are some great tutorials on this site. So I'll practice first with a new Hammock, then a new tarp and a couple of stuff sacks to put them in. Once I'm feeling comfortable with my thread injector, I'll try making a quilt.
    Hey kid.....Sgt. Rocks design for poncho liner UQ is great. It also doubles as poncho liner when you wear poncho...if you sew in the fleece collar. Whole thing compresses about same size as jrb UQ wife gave for Christmas. Weight is about the same too. Plus you are a diyer. If you already have a liner it wont cost much. Good luck.
    medic22

Hmm.. sounds like a lot of material to deal with!

• + New Posts