Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I had this same issue with my setup. I broke down and ordered the 20* incubator and burrow and figure I will just use the sitlite pad in my murmmer for something as it comes to mind. Cold feet and multi use vs. a little extra weight won out for once with me. I must be getting old
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by jnelson871 View Post
    I had this same issue with my setup. I broke down and ordered the 20* incubator and burrow and figure I will just use the sitlite pad in my murmmer for something as it comes to mind. Cold feet and multi use vs. a little extra weight won out for once with me. I must be getting old
    I'm getting old as well. I had been a traditional backpacker for years, commonly carrying 40-50 pounds with me for 2-3 days in the woods. About 3 years ago, my legs just when out from under me on a 2-day adventure in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. As a result of carrying a 46 pound pack, I just could not get over Mt. Adams. I thought, man, I am getting old. By last year, I got my total pack weight down to 26 pounds for 3 days in the Whites and had a great time! My hiking buddy had 43 pounds in his pack and was feeling it.

We split the weight of his 2-man, 3-4 season, double wall tent on that last trip weighing in at 8.5 lbs. with body, fly, footprint, extra guy out lines, polls, stakes and nylon stuff taco (Marmots way of not giving you a stuff sack). So, I would like to get that 4lbs. weight out of my pack, hence the hammock! I am also looking for the comfort the hammock provides over sleeping on the ground. More comfort, less weight, win win!

As my pack weight goes down, there are diminishing returns and even though I would like to get my total weight below 20 lbs for 3 days out, I am not married to that. The full length UQ comes with about a 5 oz penalty. I think it might be worth it given my height and the fact that I don’t like having cold feet.

Brandon got back to me and I can expect my WBBB to arrive next week sometime, and my experimenting will begin! It is taking a couple of weeks to get my order out as I guess I am in the “make it from scratch” camp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Really good set up UrsaMajor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12