Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

looking for some advice

I have never used an UQ. I am a new to hammock camping. I am thinking I would like to have a 0* or 20* underquilt and use my sleeping bag on top until i can afford a TQ. I might go with a lighter top quilt depending on the weather. What do you think?

Hoping I can use some tax refund money for this!
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    That's a good plan. Using your old sleeping bag will work fine as a top quilt. Just unzip it to the foot box to make it easier to get inside. There are lots of great options for under quilts. I have a comprehensive list of hammock manufacturers on my website.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    I have never used an UQ. I am a new to hammock camping. I am thinking I would like to have a 0* or 20* underquilt and use my sleeping bag on top until i can afford a TQ. I might go with a lighter top quilt depending on the weather. What do you think?

Hoping I can use some tax refund money for this!
    I've been doing this for quite a while. I went thru several UQ's - synthetic, 3/4 length, winter, etc. I found that I prefer a full length with a very cold rating (HG Incubator 0*). I vary the tightness of it to the hammock (venting) and use several different sleeping bags as TQ's (0*, 15*, 25*, 40*).

Hammock
    HH UL Explorer
    Tarp
    OES Silnyl Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used my sleeping bags as top quilts for years before buying a topquilt. Buying the UQ first is a good decision.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You're right on track Silverpalm2x. You didn't mention what type of outings you are planning for or if you're an avid cold weather camper, those plays into gear selection, especially for UQ. Hiking enthusiest types tend to the partial length UQ's w/sit pad combinations to save on pack volume.

Keep reading and good luck with you choice.

David

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I did the open bag as TQ route for many years. One benefit is the option to use it as a bag when it gets a little colder. Slight pain to get in and zip up the bag, but in your hammocks, not as much as the big H. Just get out there and hang with what you have and soon you will figure out what YOU need/want.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooo Buddy.....yeah, get a UQ first and use the bag as a TQ until the time comes......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Thats what I have been doing. I have a 20 degree UQ and have been using my old Snow Lion down bag as a TQ until I can afford a good one. Works fine

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

so a 20* or 40*

I live in NC (so weather is moderate) and I am not sure which i would rather have.

I hope to do some camping in the Gorge and maybe a few of the other hangs. Probably early spring through late fall camping. I am leaning towards a full underquilt instead of a 3/4 because I would rather hike some weight off of me instead of being cold at night. (if that makes sense) I have lost about 25lbs in 2011 and would like to lose about 10-15 more. With the weight loss I have found that I am cold a lot sooner than I ever used to be and that makes me scared to buy to warm of an underquilt.

Is there any difference between synthetic and down when it comes to warmth? I know there is a cost difference. I bought a synthetic insulation Spruce run jacket from REI and I really like it. I was warm in the snow we had last Sunday. I know Synthetic keeps you warm even when wet.

Shug I have seen your videos. Thanks for making them I have learned a lot. I am thinking I would sleep better with the underquilt under the hammock rather than using my alps sleeping pad. 20" wide pad. Would I be better off to buy and making a pad similar to this idea. http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

loneoak what type of underquilt did you go with and what do you like or dislike about it?
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Paul at Arrowhead makes great synthetic UQ's like the New River at 30 degrees and you can always vent it on the ends for the warmer weather. I have even used that UQ at 70 degrees vented and works great when the temp drops alittle at nite. If you get cold,,just tighten the cinch chords at each end and close it up alittle. And me and the wife,,used our Sleeping Bags as at that time we only had 1 - 40 degree down quilt and in the summer,,used poncho liners,,which are synthetic as well thrown on us. Lots of options. This year,,tho,,the wife has a 50 degree synthetic besides her 30 UQ from Arrowhead,,and I have a 40 down , and 20 down from Underground as our UQs. Like I said,,lots of options to choose from our cottage makers here on the forum. Work your way and take your time, picking and choosing your equipment. Be aware,,there is alot of gear for sale all the time as well by other members so keep your eyes open for the deal that might save you a few bucks here and there as well.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts