Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images

The Cold War

I'm waging a war against the cold, and this is my Cuben Tarp Crisis! Thirteen days of tension before my next backpacking trip! Okay.. I'm done.

I emailed Adam last night, on a whim, about a 2/3 sided cuben tarp that I have been considering for a while. Trying to shave weight, but maintain versatility, I wanted a cuben tarp with doors on only one end. I thought I had this brilliant, heretofore-unheard-of idea that had never been brought to fruition! I imagined crowds applauding my innovative concept! I would be shaking hands and kissing babies! The world was my oyster!

Adam responded that he had, in fact, made this exact tarp on a few other occasions.

So - do you have one of these brilliant tarps with only two doors? If you do have one, do you love it? Second question - I would like the tarp without panel pullouts, to save a bit of weight, and because I don't think I'd ever use them. Is this a good plan? Do you use your panel tieouts often enough to require them?

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have truly enjoyed mine. Don't use the side pull-outs as much as I thought I would due to the tight pitch of Cuben...you can crank it down.
    Enjoy the light, the sight and the lightness.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Just curious to how much weight the 2/3 version saves.

I've owned my HG 4S cuben just through this winter so I can't give any insight to fair weather use but I agree with Shug, the side pulls don't get a whole lot of use. However they are kinda nice when I pitch very low in storm mode. Stormcrow does offer them on just one side if that would be a good compromise for you. Except for the d-rings they're entirely cuben, my guess is that all 4 probably don't amount to 1/4oz. and having at least one set of side pulls would make the tarp more desirable for resale.

The thing that surprised me going to a winter tarp is that all the extra D-rings add up to more rigging and stakes, next thing I knew I was up over a pound for a 6.5 oz tarp. Eventually, after a few outings, I came to my senses and started paring down my lines and jettisoning various dodads and pieces of shock cord to only what I was actually using.

Have fun!

David

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    Shug - your vid was the first I saw of the weightless wonder, and I have been infatuated since!

I doubt it will save much from the weight of the tarp itself, but it will definitely require less cordage and hassle. Also, I'll be removing the tensioners from my guyline, I think, which should amount to less weight.

I think I will have panel tieouts on one side after all - provided they don't add much to the cost. Initially, I figured it would be unlikely that I would use them, but you're right - tieouts on one side will increase resale likelihood, and if I know I won't need them, I just won't bring line for those tieouts. At least they'll be there if I do ever decide to use them.

Thanks for chimin' in, fellas!