Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

anyone camp in Ocala National Forrest in FL?

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be heading down to Daytona FL in a few weeks and was curious if anyone has ever been to the Ocala National Forrest? I would like to take my hammock if at all possible and stay out of the tent. Just curious if the area is "hang friendly" with trees and if anyone knows anything about the accommodations(bathrooms or showers???). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Ocala and might be able to meet you out there for a night hang (it will be my first too)...however I am not sure what the policies are there. Post here for updates and I will see if I can make it!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Hey guy's we just had a big hang there in January at Buck Lake! Check it out Here.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

I was talking to someone about this the other day at work... From my understanding you can set up anywhere in the Forrest to camp and hang...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Ocala Nat. Forest is a great place for hammocking.
    It's just the Florida State Parks that are off-limits.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Ocala Nat. Forest is a great place for hammocking.
    It's just the Florida State Parks that are off-limits.
    Unless you hide in the back... Lol jk jk...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    ONF is wonderful. I was actually going to camp out there myself this weekend, but family life intervened.

What kind of camping do you want to do? Real back-country stuff, away from people, or are you looking for front-country campgrounds with all of the amenities. There are several major campgrounds in the forest, mostly located on or near some point of interest. There's the Florida Scenic Trail, which runs north-south through the forest for about ninety miles. There are several Wilderness Areas where you can get completely lost away from everyone else. There are equestrian trails, off-road vehicle trails, mountain biking trails, hiking trails, springs to jump into, kayak runs, and even a firing range.

ONF is huge.

So, what kind of camping do you want to do?

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    FLRider.....I'ld like to stay in a campground that has water available and a shower if possible. Also if possible I would like to stay on paved roads. In case of rain I don't want to have to deal with muddy roads on the Harley.

On the NF website it looks like there are probably 30 or more campgrounds in the place. Something relatively closer to Daytona would also be nice. On their website it says to be cautious of snakes, alligators and bears......don't think I want to be in total back country by myself.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    FLRider.....I'ld like to stay in a campground that has water available and a shower if possible. Also if possible I would like to stay on paved roads. In case of rain I don't want to have to deal with muddy roads on the Harley.

On the NF website it looks like there are probably 30 or more campgrounds in the place. Something relatively closer to Daytona would also be nice. On their website it says to be cautious of snakes, alligators and bears......don't think I want to be in total back country by myself.

Oh man, Since you're on a Harley and you're hanging you have to take LOTS of pictures and give us a trip report when you get back! I bet you're going to Bike Week. You'll have a blast, been a long while since I've been....good memories though!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post

My recommendations, then, would be Juniper Springs and Clearwater Lake.

Juniper is very pretty; it has a spring swimming area there. I've not been in the campground proper there, but according to the website, it doesn't have water or power at the sites proper. However, it does have water and showers at the springs; I've been into that area of Juniper. Juniper Springs sits right on SR 40, which will run straight into I 95, US 1 and A1A if you head east, just north of Daytona.

I've not been into Clearwater Lake. However, from the photos of the campsites, it might be easier to hang there. According to the site, it doesn't have showers; however, it does have a swimming area and running water. It sits right on CR 42, which feeds directly into SR 44, which will run into I 4, which takes you straight into Daytona.

Both of them are right off of paved roads and fairly easy to find (Juniper moreso than Clearwater, in my opinion). As far as I know, the pavement extends back into the campsites (if not, it's less than half a mile of dirt).

Hope it helps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast