DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    [QUOTE=Outanback

What I find really helps is selecting the proper clothing to sleep in.
    It will really extend your temp range.

Fresh heavy wool sock with down booties, heavy weight long underwear, micro fleece top, down jacket with hood, light balaclava, wool watch cap, wool gloves.

Set your tarp up to block the most wind.

hth[/QUOTE]

My military weight polypro set has saved me on a few unexpected cold nights. Both in a hammock and tent. Not only does it keep your bag cleaner, some say, but when you get up in the morning you have a little protection from that holy crap moment when you first step out of your fluffy nest into The cold.!
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    Checked the temps and it will be dropping to 12F at night. Ugh! What should I do?
    take 2 extra pads ... and do what shug said put your jacket over your foot end it will help your feet to stay warm and a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag with you ... if you have a driducks poncho use that as a undercover they work nice and add some warmth and wind protection even a reg poncho will work as a undercover to add warmth
    Have a bail out plan too ....not having proper gear for the temps you plan to camp in can be a recipe for something to go wrong ...frostbite and hypothermia are no joke and can come on fast JMO please be safe
    i would say get out and test your setup in the yard before you go out... you should always know your gear before it makes it's way into the woods then you will know it's limits and how to use it ... nothing hits the trail unless i test it at home first
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    Thanks everyone for all your wisdom and great suggestions. In the past, as a ground dweller, I would just use a ccf pad and a thermarest and the 10F bag. With my winter clothes I was fine. The lowest temp was 17F. Now with my hammock, I have my winter tarp with doors which is like my tent, my bag and clothes are the same. I have a UQ and space blanket instead of a thermarest and will bring the ccf pad. During the summer I worry about being a burrito dinner for bears, now I worry about becoming a human Popsicle. Lol.

Last question..should I use the ccf pad or the thermarest inside the hammock?

Thanks again. HF is the best.
    Last edited by Girotogo; 02-22-2012 at 02:59.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I had more condensation on the ccf (lots) than my thermarest. Still don't understand why since they are both vapor "barriers" but that was my experience.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123