Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

ENO Doublenest with the Byer Vario stand

Last few weeks on upland gamebird hunting trips in the sagebrush steppe/high desert of central Washington state, I've had to resort to camping on the ground in a tent. It was terrible but there was nothing to hang a hammock to in this country.

Last weekend, we pulled into camp late and had to set the tent up in the dark. I set up the tent on a clump of weeds with sharp spikes. The weed's sharp spikes punctured many small holes in the tent floor. This is not a problem in a hammock, of course. Sand infiltrated the tent soon after. Oh! how I missed the hammocks I used all summer.

So... partially motivated by with the help of comments made on this forum, I bought a Byer Vario hammock stand online for $99 with free shipping, a relatively good deal.

I put the ENO Doublenest in the Byer Vario twice but have yet to camp with it in the sticks or high desert. I have not put the Hennessy Backpacker A-sym in the Vario yet. The Vario's arms flex in when you climb into your hammock. The flex is a little scary at first but it seems solid.

It's heavy. But it packs up well. More weight than bulk due to the necessary amount of steel to support 350 lbss. It's surprisingly quick and easy to set up. I'm kind of a mechanical moron and got it up in less than 10 minutes with no directions, just observation and common sense.

I was worried the Vario would not accept a rain fly. But, it took an 8' x 10' tarp OK.

When I got in the hammock after rigging the rain fly, the arms flexed in a little bit (I weigh about 165 lbs. BTW) which caused the fly to sag. But this also happens when I hang to understory Western hemlocks and red alders in the Pacific Northwest.

I've messed around with the height and length of the hammock stand a little bit. Its height and length is adjusted with several screws. Right now, I have it set so the lowest part of the ENO Doublenest is only a few inches above the stand's bottom. The ENO-D is long. The HH BPer A-sym will require some adjustments and will probably hang higher since it's not as long. Basically, the ENO-D is fine in the Vario with a some adjustment and experimentation.

The Byer Madera may be a next purchase for high desert car camping. I can pitch the hammock to the car rack (which is solid) and the other end to something else like the Madera. The Madera is lighter and more storable too.
    Last edited by hikingjer; 10-23-2008 at 00:18.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    You may be interested in this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5826&highlight=treeless+hang[/URL]

I hope that I got that right.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    ENO doublenest and byer vario hammock stand is what I have in my computer room. Works well for me. The arms to flex and I was very nervous at first but after six months I just fall into the hammock confident it will hold. I have even taken a few naps with my wife in it putting the combined weight right about 320lbs and it holds just fine. i have yet to take it camping but i have taken it to hotels and set it up to sleep in for a two week stay on a business trip! I always wanted to know what the maids reaction was the first day they came to clean the room and found a hammock there!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Oh great! Now there is another thing that I want.
    I really do need a hammock stand since there are no trees worthy of hanging from in our backyard, and even if they were big enough they'd be way too far apart. And it is a PITA to head out the the park to test stuff.

And then you had to go and show us a tarp on the stand.
    I'm doomed!

liz

Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    So... partially motivated by with the help of comments made on this forum, I bought a Byer Vario hammock stand online for $99 with free shipping, a relatively good deal.

I put the ENO Doublenest in the Byer Vario twice but have yet to camp with it in the sticks or high desert.

It's heavy. But it packs up well.

I was worried the Vario would not accept a rain fly. But, it took an 8' x 10' tarp OK.

where did you get the Byer Vario Stand w/ free shipping what website? -thanks

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    where did you get the Byer Vario Stand w/ free shipping what website? -thanks
    Sun and Ski

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Insulation
    my 8 layers

Cool vario hammock stand for cheap

i found the stand for $58 including shipping on amazon.

here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-Var.../dp/B000MKQ246

Marble Canyon, AZ Near the N rim of the Grand Canyon
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Funky Forest 8'6"
    Insulation
    Thermarest/REI 20*
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theodopolis13 View Post
    i found the stand for $58 including shipping on amazon.

here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-Var.../dp/B000MKQ246

It says $129.....guess we missed the special : /

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Insulation
    my 8 layers

amazon

no i ordered 2 and the following day got an email from amazon saying that the seller cancelled my order and also got an email from the seller saying that amazon had the price listed wrong. sux.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    This thread, even in 2010, has been helpful to me, esp your photos. I am buying one of these stands now for my ENOs and HHs, thanks!

P.S. There is an optional steel extender for this hammock stand, made by Byer, that allows it to go from current max length of 147 inches, to an extended max length of 180 inches (adds 33 inches). Any idea of that would be good to have, anyone?