Hammock
    DIY Asym
    Tarp
    DIY 2-mil Plastic
    Insulation
    DIY Down Torso

My First DIY Post

Ok, I finally have some things to post about the projects I've been working on for the last few months. Thanks to all the super helpful and friendly people who have posted How-to's and videos, I've learned a lot! I am still getting used to the hammock setup, so I still consider myself very much a n00b. If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know!

I've attached slightly larger photos at the bottom. My friend Matt also took a few photos from the night we hiked into Seminole State Forest to test out the rigs (see bottom). The glow inside my hammock is coming from my uber-weak flashlight...

The Hammock. I purchased a big 25-yd roll of 1.9oz calendered ripstop from Magna Fabrics for cheap (planning to make multiple hammocks from it). A simple gathered-end design, it's a little big but seems to be working ok so far. After this one I purchased a 6-mm roll hem foot! I added 3/4" D-rings attached by grosgrain ribbon for asym tieouts. The whipping and ridgeline are Dyneema tech-line from DIY Gear Supply. My suspension is simply 1" Polyester webbing and 1/8" Dyneema cord with aluminum toggles. I'm getting faster at tying bowlines!

The Bug Net. In Florida, this is a must. I used Fronkey's design, but have had mixed results. My first outing with it, in the summer and next to a water source, resulted in a mosquito party above my head. I had tried to set up the net to go over my asym tieouts, and hoped it was closed enough to keep the bugs out (it wasn't). More recently, I added an underquilt and used a makeshift tieout method by wrapping shockcord around the D-rings through the bug net, as one might make on a tarp tieout. Apologies, I didn't get a closeup photo of this, but you can kinda see it in some of the photos.

The Underquilt. The hammock was nice and cool in the summer, but I knew I'd be needing an underquilt soon. After some practice on the thread injector and some tips from the wife, I obsessed over the plans for this torso-length underquilt and drew up multiples after researching it on the internet. I am actually not sure what the final dimensions ended up being, as there was some freestylin' at the end. To save some money, I used the same 1.9oz ripstop as I used on my hammock, because I knew it was calendered and according to my research this should be down-proof (it's now leaking down...life and learn I guess). I made 2" interior baffle walls out of some extra noseeum mesh. The exterior is larger than the interior to avoid compression during use. I ordered 6oz of 900-fp pure goose down from Thru-Hiker.com. When I find myself needing another underquilt, I'll probably order one from one of the better-known makers like JRB. Stuffing it with down was a headache, but I am proud of it!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m3ng; 01-02-2013 at 21:09. Reason: added night photos

Hammock
    DIY digicam 1.8 SL W/ knotty mods
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchbling
    Images
    looks great!
    Last edited by Tinkr; 01-02-2013 at 20:23. Reason: typo
    "When somebody moves something in your house, you notice it. When somebody moves something in the woods, I notice it."
    -Tom Brown, Jr.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 multicam
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad, sleeping
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Awesome, man. I have been practicing my diy-fu and hope to accomplish something like this soon. Looks great, very pro.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome to DIY. Looks like you did a great job! I thought calendared ripstop was downproof. Hmmmm...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Very nice DIY projects.

It is a shame though that it's commonly thought that calendared equals down proof.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Congrats on some great projects!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Asym
    Tarp
    DIY 2-mil Plastic
    Insulation
    DIY Down Torso

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It is a shame though that it's commonly thought that calendared equals down proof.
    gmcttr, enlighten us please? I wasn't able to find a decent way to determine if a fabric is down proof or not. It isn't advertised with every fabric, but it seemed that most calendered fabric wasn't leaking down for people...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Disclaimer...I'm only expressing my beliefs based on what I've seen reported on HF and subsequent reading on the web.

I don't believe there is a way to tell other than to buy fabric specifically listed as down proof from a trusted vendor.

However, if I was going to take a shot in the dark (and I wouldn't), I would look for fabric that was calendared on both sides vs. one side, but this is frequently not listed as well.

• + New Posts