Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Talking Newport SP with a crazy guy!

Alright, time for the report!!!

The first day at Newport State Park in Door County Wi. was full of exciting views of Lake Michigan and fun tinkering with my setup (first winter experience with a hammock). I also had an opportunity to meet the camper at the site next to me (which I'll get to later in the report).

My rig.... I found that the Spectra cord that I purchased from ZPacks was great with the Dutchware that I purchased for the ridgeline. It also worked very well with the shock cord as self tensioning guy lines on the tarp! My Old Man Winter tarp had a ton of room inside with the pullouts deployed. The DIY hammock that I finished last week was very comfortable. But my favorite part of the setup was definitely my new HammockGear Phoenix 20* UQ!!! I was very pleased with its performance. (I can't wait to get my 40* in the mail in the next week or so)

I met my neighbor in the late afternoon when I went to his site to introduce myself and let him know that I was going to be there overnight. I didn't want to upset him that I was only 150 yards away and wanted to explain to him that I was testing gear and didn't want to be more than two miles from my car. He totally understood and welcomed me to join him at a campfire that evening. After our meeting I went back to my camp to make dinner with my new DIY wood stove that I had made. Just after cleanup my neighbor "Bill" came by to see my setup. I had mentioned to him that I was a hammock camper and since he was a ground dweller it peaked his interest and wanted to check it out. Which I was 100% excited to share my new found love of hammock camping! During our conversation I started to feel a bit uneasy with Bill and some of the things that he was talking about. When he invited me to his site for a campfire I informed him that I was very tired and would most likely turn in early. He understood and told me that I was still welcome if I changed my mind, and I thanked him again.

As darkness began to fall over the woods I could see the gigantic BOMBFIRE that he was working on and assumed that he was probably a couple of beers into the 12 pack that I notice when visiting his site earlier in the day. Around 9:00 he must have been running low on wood because he started to chop logs with his axe (yes in the dark!). All I could think was at any moment I'm going to hear a blood curdling scream as Bill was going to slip and put the axe through his leg, or worse. But the scream never came..... Instead he began to whistle a very loud tune. As I laid in my hammock with my Hannibal Lecter mask on all I could think was that this was very strange actions for a winter camper (I would not be caught off guard as much at a state park in the summer). All I could think was that Bill may be a crazy serial killer and that any moment I would hear his footsteps getting closer to my campsite all the while whistling that crazy tune (I think the Hannibal mask put me in a weird state of mind!!)....

Around midnight Bill was probably about 10 beers into his 12 pack because the chopping did not end, but the whistling was now a full on song at the top of his lungs. At this point I was less worried about Bill killing me and more worried that he was going to trip into his fire, put his axe into his leg, or pass out in the snow and freeze to death. Finally at about 1:30am the axe and singing both stopped!! Woohoo, time for some sleep. I was so worked up that I could not.... So I stayed awake for about another hour, and I'm glad I did!! I heard three packs of coyotes yipping and two wolfs howling in that hour! I really enjoyed that....

The next morning I awoke around 7:30am and began to have "Breakfast from the hammock!" while the water was warming my wife called me to let me know that my son was sick and that she was on her way to work. She asked me to come out of the woods early to take him to the doctor. I was a bit disappointed but family always comes first....

Wrap up. It was a very successful (with a few failures like getting sleep!) first winter hang. I learned a lot and feel very comfortable with my setup. I can't wait for the snow to melt and get my wife and two children out for a few weekend hangs!

I took away many memories from this trip and made sure to only leave footprints behind.

Please read post #6
    Last edited by SADLK; 02-22-2012 at 00:12.
    Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific briefing Hannibal........!
    Hearing wolves is always a true gift. Their harmonies are smooth. Coyotes sound like tone deaf drunks)))))))
    Hope the kid fairs well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks Shug!

Well my son has Strep, so I'm glad I wasn't around this weekend!!! We have some meds for him now and he should be right as rain in no time!
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    A bummer and a good time rolled into one. Wow!

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    A bummer and a good time rolled into one. Wow!
    Exactly... But the good definitely outweighed the bad.....
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Follow-up!!! I was contacted by the park ranger today asking if I noticed anything strange in the campsite next to me while I was camping!!! I thought about my experience quickly and decided that whatever Bill had done must have been pretty serious and I didn't want to be involved. So I answered "Nope!" and left it at that. I'm wondering what you all think I should do? Do I leave it alone and let the park deal with whatever situation is at hand or do I call back and tell them the story?

What do you suggest?
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Excellent report.

I think you just tell the truth and let the park ranger decide what action if any is warranted. My guess is that someone else complained about the noise and he wanted to corroborate the complaint.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I would definitely pony up as to what was going on. They need to know when things are out of hand so they can develop strategies for allowing an atmosphere of mutual respect and enjoyment of their facility.

I am always bummed when I go someplace for quiet and someone invades that space. I hear phones, etc. all the time at work, and human generated noise is something I really want to escape.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts