Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chimpac
    Quote Rune. I live at 68*N. I think I know about frozen ground. When it's frozen here it's covered in ice and pegs are useless no matter what they are made from. As for rocky ground. If the ground is rocky there are stones. Also in snow you don't use it as a stake, that you drive into the ground. I just lay it flat on the ground and cover it with snow. That will hold it plenty good enough if you use a meter or more length of it. I used it in Blizzard conditions and gale force winds last weekend. Held nicely.. quote

The ring nails I have mentioned and use work very well in concrete hard frozen ground and hold well in the ice of a lake. I use the same nails in snow but I do not nail to the ground that might be a meter below the snow surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Well, snow is mostly the problem. This year we got it before the ground froze. Then we had rain and then a freeze that lasted for a couple of months, before we had a new thaw and rain, and then it froze again. Covering the ground witha 20 cm thick layer of solid ice. Which now have your meter of snow on top of it. Much easier to tie off to trees, saplings and rocks, and where none is at hand, bury a branch in the snow and tie off to that. Many times I've used my skis and skipoles.

In the summer I just make one or two on the spot for that one corner that has nthing within reach.
    In deep sand and snow I bury a piece of fire wood where I need it and nail to that. I did not think I had to put in every detail.

I carry 4 groundhog knockoffs and three ti DIY shepard hooks. I tried the no stake thing but found it worth it to carry a few extra ounces. Find myself setting up in the dark, in the rain, in a campsite/park where you can't find any dead wood or in a forest with nothing but punky birch or poular.

Quote Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chimpac
    In deep sand and snow I bury a piece of fire wood where I need it and nail to that. I did not think I had to put in every detail.
    I got the order wrong here. First I put the nails thru grommets in my tent then I drive each nail into a piece of fire wood, then I bury each piece of fire wood as I pitch the tarp. The nail goes in better if the firewood is against something solid.

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    I carry a mix as well. Thanks the info!

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Walmart has what appears to be an awesome set of ultralight tent stakes, Y style, for less than $5 for a set of 4 - 9" stakes.

I picked a pair up and they seems like they will work great. I believe they are aluminum.

Walmart link, only available in-store

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/ W-L SS
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I was going to pick up some Groundhogs but decided to give the stakes sold on the Hammock Forums store a shot. Should have them in a few days.

Hammock
    DIY ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY coated ripstop
    Insulation
    insulbrite
    Suspension
    real simple

Wink easy make tent pegs

After the elections I harvest political signs made with steel wire. This is an important community service (unless there is a run off election; don't take any still in use). Some have heavier wire than others; I take what I want and leave the rest.

Then I cut the heavy wire into appropriate lengths and bend them in a "shepherd's hook" configuration. The "hook" configuration is important to prevent the tent cord from pulling the stake around and coming off. The reason I know this is because I read a lot of books; it is not because I took a bunch of mal-formed tent pegs camping and had to use alternatives in front of my friends that I had bragged to about my "free" tent pegs. Don't let that happen to you.

Thank you Mr. Oboma, for your contribution to my camping experience.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Who cares about a tent peg?

Quote Originally Posted by lvnv1212 View Post
    The lighter the better! I use zpacks http://zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml
    And the easier they bend and don't hold. Just my experience. Mine are relegated to the junk drawer.

Hammock
    Breyman 1.1 ACU, GTUL, TL DBL
    Tarp
    BMJ, GG 12x12
    Insulation
    Incbtr 20, No Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoop whoop!
    Using sticks helps justify the weight of a Real Knife (Mora , in my case)
    Then I can feel all bush-crafty whittling points on them!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad & PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bigroof View Post
    After the elections I harvest political signs made with steel wire. This is an important community service (unless there is a run off election; don't take any still in use). Some have heavier wire than others; I take what I want and leave the rest.

Then I cut the heavy wire into appropriate lengths and bend them in a "shepherd's hook" configuration. The "hook" configuration is important to prevent the tent cord from pulling the stake around and coming off. The reason I know this is because I read a lot of books; it is not because I took a bunch of mal-formed tent pegs camping and had to use alternatives in front of my friends that I had bragged to about my "free" tent pegs. Don't let that happen to you.

Thank you Mr. Oboma, for your contribution to my camping experience.
    I use political sign as target stands. Just staple on your favorite target and let the lead fly. Good see they have more uses than just blocking the scenery.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast