Parallel vs perpendicular baffles.

Are there any advantages to having an UQ that has baffles which run parallel to the hammock and vice versa?

I see more parallel designs than perpendicular and assume it's so the down can be moved up and down its length to provide warmth in specific areas. Is that even remotely right?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Actually, you don't want the down to move. If you look at an UQ installed on a hammock (lots of pictures in the gallery) you will see a rather severe curve going perpendicular to the hammock, almost a "U" shape. Whereas, longitudinally, there is only a mild curve. The flatter we lay the less curve there is.

By running the baffles parallel to the hammock the chambers are close to being level, therefore less tendency for down to shift.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Terr View Post
    Are there any advantages to having an UQ that has baffles which run parallel to the hammock and vice versa?

I see more parallel designs than perpendicular and assume it's so the down can be moved up and down its length to provide warmth in specific areas. Is that even remotely right?
    Mad777 is correct about the purpose of baffles being mainly to keep the down in place.

One useful side benefit that you have pointed to, is the ability to move the down (when you want to) to where it is needed most. The perpendicular baffles will let you move down down from the sides to directly under you if a little extra is needed. Parallel baffles let you move down from the leg and head areas to the torso if desired. Your choice.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I talked to Adam of HG about overstuffing recently. He said that the purpose of the down is to hold the loft of the baffle/space and reduce the air movement.

I learned that a 2" baffle won't be quite as warm as a 4" baffle with the same amount of down in the space, assuming that there's enough to expand the baffle. He said that adding more down will always make the UQ warmer. However, it's a matter of diminishing returns. He said that it's like a bell curve. You could add a whole lot more down, but you're not going to get nearly as much warmth added for the weight, as you overstuff more & more.

Images
    since the major curve runs shoulder to shoulder and the minor curve runs head to toe, running the baffles head to toe is a more efficient way of tackling the dual differential. it's alot easier to make the baffle walls conform to the minor (head to toe) differential than vice versa because the curve is much less severe. tackling the larger shoulder to shoulder differential is easy when the baffles run the other direction. it also means less baffles to fill, and less shaping/pleating of the baffle walls to get the desired effect.

Thanks guys. I understand that the purpose of baffles is to keep the down in place and prevent cold spots due to uneven distribution. I personally get the feeling that perpendicular baffles seem to compress the down a little more than parallel ones. Perhaps this observation is all in my head? I don't own a fancy down UQ so I can't say from any experience.

• + New Posts