Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post

That brings up another question. Shiny surfaces not only reflect radiant heat, they also emit radiation less than dark layers. Which side of the Thermoflect blanket is intended to be facing the patient? The ad copy says there's "a soft layer" next to the patient. Is that the blue stuff or the very thin layer of clear plastic over
    the aluminum side?
    Well,
    The garments are sold both with the blue side out & with the shiney side out. So I don't think it matters.

I did some testing of my own lastnight. While not quite as scientific as WV's I felt the results were favorable.

I used the single layer IX insert for my UQ and a single blanket while sitting outside in the wind. I had a heavy fleece jacket on and only wrapped my legs in the IX/Thermoflect. I was only wearing a mesh athletic pants & the outside temp was ~40F*. I stayed outside for about 10-15min without the insulation to get a reference. Then, I wrapped both layers around my legs and tucked everything in as best I could.

I noticed the difference almost immediately and infact my legs stayed warm the entire 40-45min I was outside. However, on my left leg, which was exposed directly to the wind, I did notice a cold spot. I can only assume that this was from convective heatloss due to the wind contacting the Thermoflect directly. It wasn't bone chilling, but definitely noticeable. I suspect that under your tarp protected from the wind it should be much of a problem. That's just my initial impression.

-A.A.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I slept on one draped in the hammock. Those parts of my body that were in contact were warm (55* night). The problem, of course, is that it bunched up mightily as I moved around, and soon became useless. I also used it as a top quilt and was warm underneath--although I did not nap as long as WV did.

I'm thinking of sewing it onto the Crazy Crib hammock I use with my Poncho Liner as a PLUQ, then putting snaps along the edges, and snaps on the poncho liner. This would give a degree of modularity: "underhammock" alone, "underhammock" with Poncho liner, and "underhammock" as a rain cover fora traditional UQ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Gringo is not a government.

I was thinking about a vestibule for a wood burner a la out and back's project.
    HaHa, Yep I'm watching this thread closely. Hoping to learn as much as possible.

Been drool over WV's Aluminized ripstop since he posted this picture.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    HaHa, Yep I'm watching this thread closely. Hoping to learn as much as possible.

Been drool over WV's Aluminized ripstop ....
    Wondered where those spots came from.

The fabric came from DIYgearsupply.

Images
    Wondered where those spots came from.

The fabric came from DIYgearsupply.
    HaHa, thanks for the link David.

In looking at this thermoflect material.
    It looks like a great replacement for IX.
    More breathable, a little IR reflection, probably more durable than IX. I like it.

I could see it used to make a breathable winter sock, summer TQ/UQ,
    inside layer for a UQ. Breathable UQ protector, SB/TQ liner to extend temp range.

Nice find you guys.
    I wish I had the DIY talent.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Not breathable.

OutandBack,
    Nope, not. I've got an overheated vacuum cleaner to prove it. Still looks a very useful fabric, though. I'm looking forward to seeing your stove vestibule.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    so if a person was to use a blanket in conjunction with an UQ to try and gain a few degrees

would a person want to put it between the hammock bottom and on top of the UQ or put it on the outside of the UQ

which would be more effective and not cause condensation

this stuff can be kinda confusing some times.......

thanks

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Boothill,

I don't know for sure. That's what this thread is about. In your clear statement of the question, you have designed an elegant scientific experiment. That is, there aren't too many variables, so it ought to be possible to find out. Don't get me wrong - there are still possible problems (i.e. - other variables besides blanket location), namely the weather and the individual's metabolism, both subject to considerable variation in the real world.

We need a number of people to try both placements on two successive nights with similar weather predicted. I will volunteer as one subject. We expect similar weather here tomorrow and Monday, so I'm all set. Who else is in?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I'm trying on outside of underquilt tonight. But like you say, different people different metabolisms. I'm not someone who sweats a lot even on a ccf. Not sure when I can two nights with similar weather and temps.

I'm someone who is sensitive to cold spots on torso. I'm interested to see if this makes a difference. I've been using a thin 3/16 ccf torso pad with underquilt as a solution. Am hoping this works as it will pack down smaller.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    OutandBack,
    Nope, not. I've got an overheated vacuum cleaner to prove it. Still looks a very useful fabric, though. I'm looking forward to seeing your stove vestibule.
    Hi David,
    Just because you can't suck air thru it doesn't mean water vapor can't pass thru, does it?
    DWR nylon is considered breathable but I'll bet it would fail your vacuum cleaner test.
    Just from your picture it sure looks breathable.
    I see many holes in the silver thermal reflective side and the blue side just looks like a woven synthetic cloth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast