Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    tin foil wedgie

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

4th Annual Black Hills Hang Aug 20-23

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Progress on several fronts (but no conclusions yet):

Used perforated T-flect below UQ with shiny side out, 45 F., slept warm, no condensation found in the A.M. Tonight I'll use a similar setup with non-perforated T-flect. (Slept in enclosed porch because I didn't trust this UQ for the 20 F. outside.)

Running this T-flect through the sewing machine, doing 6 thicknesses at a time yesterday still took a while. I added lines of holes in the other direction this morning with the material folded four times, producing 16 layers to sew through. Tough little Singer 15-91 did fine, so now there are twice as many holes (approx. 184,000). I plan to sew a footbox into this piece a la HappyCamper and try it as a very light weight TQ.

Bearing in mind Knotty's advice about radiant energy not passing easily through solid (i.e. opaque) barriers, I've decided not to try the T-flect between the UQ and the hammock. (Analogy to getting the laws of physics to pass through my skull to "warm up" my brain cells noted.)
    Last edited by WV; 02-27-2012 at 10:26.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    No condensation! Excellent. I had so much, that's good news. I'll have to punch mine and see if I get similar results.

Don't forget to change that needle out if sewing anything else and not just punching holes! That needle's been working hard!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    We'll see. I just spent half an hour at the sewing machine without thread.
    I folded the Thermoflect, so I was punching holes in six layers at a time, and I used a #19 needle, so the holes are big. Used 8 holes to the inch x 48 inches across x 240 rows = 92,160 holes. Sewing is a lot faster without thread.
    Progress on several fronts (but no conclusions yet):

Used perforated T-flect below UQ with shiny side out, 45 F., slept warm, no condensation found in the A.M. Tonight I'll use a similar setup with non-perforated T-flect. (Slept in enclosed porch because I didn't trust this UQ for the 20 F. outside.)

Running this T-flect through the sewing machine, doing 6 thicknesses at a time yesterday still took a while. I added lines of holes in the other direction this morning with the material folded four times, producing 16 layers to sew through. Tough little Singer 15-91 did fine, so now there are twice as many holes (approx. 184,000). I plan to sew a footbox into this piece a la HappyCamper and try it as a very light weight TQ.

Bearing in mind Knotty's advice about radiant energy not passing easily through solid (i.e. opaque) barriers, I've decided not to try the T-flect between the UQ and the hammock. (Analogy to getting the laws of physics to pass through my skull to "warm up" my brain cells noted.)
    this would be so excellent if an idea of mine worked on here

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    No condensation! Excellent. I had so much, that's good news. I'll have to punch mine and see if I get similar results.

Don't forget to change that needle out if sewing anything else and not just punching holes! That needle's been working hard!
    can't wait to hear the results and see if this solves the condensation problem you had

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

4th Annual Black Hills Hang Aug 20-23

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Remember, I haven't proved anything yet. We'll have to see if there is condensation tonight with an un-perforated under cover.

Yes'm. I'm also going to clean the blue fuzz out of the PTI and oil it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill
    this would be so excellent if an idea of mine worked on here
    I expect it will. Let it be the first of many!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Remember, I haven't proved anything yet. We'll have to see if there is condensation tonight with an un-perforated under cover.
    Oh WV, you're such a horse before the cart kinda guy . . . I like it!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OMG, this isn't even off-topic, but it has that "feel"! Why not loose fitting shirt and sleep shorts, blue side in. Loose enough to vent, but that something extra to keep you warm. I thought I saw medical shirts on one of the websites. I'll have to recheck.
    Yah, they had hats as well. Don't recall if they had booties, but they would work as well.

You're right, shorts would work better than a diaper.

But seein as how Shug has got everybody using bibs, I figgered--------

Hammock
    ///
    Tarp
    ///
    Insulation
    ///
    Suspension
    ///
    This might sound crazy, but what about using 2 carpet tack strips hinged between two 2x4s? You could make it virtually as long as your fabric was wide. If you had someone pulling fabric for you it would be an quicker process. You might have to run it through a few times to get the number of perforations you want, but that still has to be faster than a sewing machine.

... Just a thought.

BTW - Thanks for all the hard work on this, it could be a great leap forward.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Test results

The perforated Thermoflect undercover apparently worked to let humidity escape, because the one without holes that I used last night trapped moisture in my synthetic UQ and the down vest tied under it as a 1/2 length supplemental UQ. Conditions were similar for both tests: low humidity, temperature in the mid forties, and using the same TQ and UQ for both tests. There wasn't a lot of trapped moisture this time, but there was a definite difference. The conditions were such that I wouldn't have expected much, so I was pleased that the experiment was a success.

The perforated Thermoflect will now see duty as a TQ (outer layer, with the shiny side out). Running 16 thicknesses through the sewing machine worked, so that's probably the easiest way to put holes in this stuff. When I unfolded it, the blue material around the edges of the holes stuck to the adjacent layers a bit, and one or two small tears in the blue layer occurred, so this is not the most durable stuff in the world. Still, it looks good for the proposed uses. We'll see if my toes poke holes in the footbox.

The #19 needle I used was so gummed up with blue plastic, that I had trouble even finding the eye, much less cleaning it out. I disassembled the bobbin case of the machine so I could clean it thoroughly, but it looks like he needle caught most of the goop.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for posting! What temps for the topquilt. Are you going to continue to use it as an undercover? I'm going to definitely continue to experiment with it as a topquilt. The thing only weighs 4.4 oz. (Plus I think I can cut it down a bit more.) Even as a hot summer TQ for me, that ain't much weight in my pack.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 02-28-2012 at 08:49.