Hammock
    11' WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Warbonet mamajamba

Eno hammock calf pressure

I have been having calf pressure with my double nest eno hammock. I have it set up at 15 feet apart from anchor points with a 30 degree angle. Ridge line set at 98 inches. I have a good lay but pressure on calf is making lay uncomfortable. I have a foam pad in my TQ foot box which ilivates some discomfort but doesn't correct problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11foot
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Snugpak w/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Toggle
    I used a small stuff sack with some clothing in it under my knees when I had that and it helped.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Madox View Post
    I have been having calf pressure with my double nest eno hammock. I have it set up at 15 feet apart from anchor points with a 30 degree angle. Ridge line set at 98 inches. I have a good lay but pressure on calf is making lay uncomfortable. I have a foam pad in my TQ foot box which ilivates some discomfort but doesn't correct problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofhaws View Post
    I used a small stuff sack with some clothing in it under my knees when I had that and it helped.
    Welcome to the club of many members. Lots of experimentation to find the exact hang angle. Some solve the problem with more sag, some with less. Some gathered hammocks seem far less prone to this than others, at least for some people.

For me, the most consistent way for me to solve the problem or at least minimize it enough to get by OK: getting in with my butt/legs a good bit more to the side opposite of my head side. IOW, when I sit down in a no net hammock, I don't let the hammock edge get too close to my knees, and then lean back placing my head to the other side. As opposed to scooting further over with my butt more in the center, more towards the side my head will be on (with diagonal).

With my WBBB, because my head is going to be towards the entry side, I do the opposite: I scoot over further into the hammock, towards the foot box/rt. side, before laying down with my head to the left.

In both cases, I end up with my calf further from the center, and this seems to minimize or do away with pressure, depending on which hammock.

In the meantime, plus 1 on something soft and thick under your knees.

The absolute best way for me to deal with this PITA is to use a bridge hammock. It is the only one which is consistently 100% free of pressure and knee hyper-extension for me. It is just nice to never have to think about this problem, which tends to be my main hammock problem. Though my non-bridge hammocks tend to be more comfy in the shoulders and I get get more into fetal, the legs tend to be a greater problem for me.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Last night while doing a bit of "backyard testing" I had a horrible calf ridge, the worse I'd ever experienced. For me the fix was to raise the foot end tree strap another 4-6 inches and then loosen the whoopie sling. This allowed more sag and hung my hammock a bit looser. When I got back in, no ridge whatsoever. Another thing to remember about that ridgeline is if you're using an UQ that ridge is going to cause a gap between the quilt and the hammock which may lead to CBS.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts