Thread: Recycled tent

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Recycled tent

Has anyone ever used an old tent to build a hammock? I am thinking about using one as the top portion. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Depending on the type, condition and age of material it could be done. Consider this though; A tent is naturally shaped like some sort of dome whereas most of the manufactured and probably DIY hammocks are one flat piece of material. It may not lay the way you want it to but I say give it a shot? What do you have to lose other than some seam-ripping and thread-injecting time while learning? I'm a little confused about "using one as the top portion." Do you mean a tarp?

EDIT: Welcome to HF!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    No, my plan would be to use ripstop as the bottom and then use part of the tent as the top, preferably a door section so I could use it to get in and out. I thought I might be able to close up the screen as well (most tents have a zipper for the screen and another that zips a nylon cover over it) which could keep things warmer in cold weather. I would also have a tarp over the whole contraption.

I am thinking I could cut it apart and then resew the sections together to get a flat piece that I could sew onto the hammock bottom... if that makes any sense.

That was a question I had. To do this, would I just need two pieces the same width and length, and then just sew the top to the bottom and gather the ends?
    Last edited by kg8jk; 02-24-2012 at 12:33.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    Forum Member Arok did a tent recycle: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=reuse+tent
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    somehow I think you would be money and time ahead to sell the tent for enough to pay for new material to make what you want.

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    sooo you're thinkin a hammock with a built in bugnet? Like a hennessy or WBBB? Or something more like the erika crystalist? Sky's the limit if you've got the planning and the patints. Heck, you might figure a way to suspend the whole tent via the 4 corners up in a tree. I can see it now, a recycled tent ewalk village of happy hammock campers. Well, maybe not. Keep us posted on your project, i've got 4 decent tents just waiting for me to get some insperation. I was leaning more toward clothing myself. Rock on yo! Welcome to your new addiction lol

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

So far so good

Well, here are a few pictures of what I have so far...

Here is what I started with...

After doing some measurements I decided I might be able to use the bottom of the tent to make my hammock body. So I cut the top off and set it aside for later.

I decided to do a test and see if it would actually work as a hammock. So my wife and I took a hike out on the North Country Trail and it works great.

All I did was gather the ends and do a simple knot at the end. I used some tie down straps from my truck and there you have it. Now it is time to get the sewing machine out and roll the edges and then see what else I can do with it. Total investment so far $5 for the old tent. I may see if I can use the stake rings as a ring buckle. I also want to use the top as a bug screen but I think I will play with the bottom first and do some hanging.
    Last edited by kg8jk; 02-27-2012 at 08:19.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm impressed. You are successfully off the ground with recycled materials, and have plans for improvements.

Congratulations.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts