GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

permethrin replace bugnet?

Im going to treat the hammocks this year with permethrin. Does anyone use permethrin without a bugnet? Do you feel that it could replace the bugnet? It would be nice to not have to mess with a bugnet and also not carry the weight.

Images
    Twice so far, at least. Once in Oct., camped very close to intersection of a slow running creek and the Sipsey River in AL. There were def some mossies out buzzing around. Second time that comes to mind was last week of Aug last year, camping beside lakes and rivers/creeks in the Sawtooth wilderness in ID. Bugs were for sure out on that one.

Got by both times, no bites at all. Clothing and outer layer of hammock treated with Permethrin. I also had 15-20% Picaridin for uncovered skin, especially for my face after I went to sleep. But mostly did not even need the Picaridin, depending on what else I was wearing ( like a treated hat).

This definitely got the job done. I was surprised that my very open weave very light, white Merino wool long John tops, which I had sprayed with Permethrin(I think Sawyers) right before the trip, were not always free of mossies. They would land on me, but they would never seem to stay long enough to bite, only lite for a few seconds and then gone. I'm used to not even seeing the rascals. Maybe the Permethrin did not bond well to the Merino wool? But most of the time, they did not even get on me or come near me.

I did find I had a paranoia about my Picaridin- which was supposed to last 8 hours, wearing off in the middle of the night and me getting bit. This paranoia, especially next to one lake where the Mossies were real thick at dusk, interfered with my restful sleep. I was a little nervous, even though if I got up to pee or for a drink of water, I would put some more Picaridin on my face and hands. And I swore I would lug the wt of a net from then on. But I think my worries were unfounded, like I said: no bites. I also never heard any mossie whine day or night.

Still, last October when I went back to the Sipsey, despite Perm/Picaridin, I took the net for the JRB bridge. Never saw or heard a mossie though. So I'm sure I didn't need the net. YMMV.

Can you test it? I had done so before I ever trusted a net free over night. I would do sweaty day hikes in summer to very swampy areas in MS, then hang for an hour. Usually, even without the Picaridin ( Perm treated clothing and/or hammock only) I never even see a bug. Occasionally, I would need the Picaridin for exposed skin for the occasional Mossie that seems to make it through. Keep in mind this is in major Mossie territory. Als have never seen a tick. At least not since treating the clothes.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Last September this solution got me stung by a European wasp, repeatedly.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Since my hammock has an integrated bugnet, it is difficult for me to experiment. However, in the past few years since treating my clothing and hammock with permethrin I haven't needed bug spray. Admittedly I have been avoiding the Adirondacks during black fly season and been hiking the FLT during that month.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My understanding of permethrin is that it only works on contact. The smell isn't a deterrent, only the chemical on contact.

If your nose is up in the open air & a skeeter lands on it, she'll take a bite out of you. I only go without a bug net when it's cold out.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    My understanding of permethrin is that it only works on contact. The smell isn't a deterrent, only the chemical on contact.

If your nose is up in the open air & a skeeter lands on it, she'll take a bite out of you. I only go without a bug net when it's cold out.
    That is exactly right. I have the Tiger Mosquito here and they are tiny and relentless! The Permethrin stoped them from landing on my hammock but not on me.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    My understanding was similar, but my experience tells me something else is going on. For example, If I am wearing my permethrin treated hat, bugs aren't bothering me, but when I take it off, they are all over my face. No other bug spray is being used. So I am not sure that there isn't a deterrent effect as well.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Maybe if one treated their tarp and hammock it would not create a total block, but rather a deterrent. It doesn't stop wasps that is for sure.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Thanks for the detailed post billybob. I probably should have mentioned that i will be treating my clothes and possibly my quilt and underquilt as well. Definately gotta consider the wasps! OUCH! Ive never tried the permethrin, but after my research and reading other accounts i think im willing to try it without a bugnet. Hopefully a few more will chime in and tell me their experience as well. Thanks for the help so far!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Last September this solution got me stung by a European wasp, repeatedly.
    They get angry when you ask to see their passports, what with the problem of the Euro.

Are you sure SGT, it wasn't a South Central Asian wasp? The Chrysanthemum-like flowers permethrin was synthesized from are from that region of the world. With factories making permethrin, the price of the flowers collapsed, farmers stopped growing them, and the wasps have been angry ever since.

Smilies implied.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast