Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hfmac View Post
    Thanks SGT that's exactly the kind of experimental data I was thinking about. Seems like mostly rope failure which is solved by amsteel.

I think I remember an HFuser reporting his hammock failed about 12inches down from the knot on the hammock body. Not from abuse.

Basically my methodology is use the lightest fabric until you get failure. Then you add back fabric. But if the hammock stresses in certain areas then only add back fabric in those areas rather than a full layer or heavier fabric. This is more in the spirit of pushing performance like a hammock for and adventure racer or thru hiker.
    That reminds me of one I forgot. I was doing a hammock in 1.1 with a draw cord end drawn up by one cord, and the suspension on the hammock body with a larks head. The suspension cut through the body of the hammock cutting the drawn end clean off. I trimmed it where it got cut off and made a new drawcord channel and put the suspension though the draw cord channel - that worked perfectly. Since the I do all my hammocks this way.

FWIW, I've not had a real failure with dynaglide when done "properly" as well. But as I say that I do have to admit I don't bury my cords as deep as some here say you need to.

I did have one eye pull out while on the trail when I only did it about 1.5" in and did use a lock brummel or back stitch - which in hind-site is totally stupid to not use at least one.

I now use about 2" of burry and .25" of taper on dynaglide and always stitch lock it in. I've read that this is only about half what you are supposed to need. But 2 years with that sort of rig has never let me down.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Probably where your keys or pocketknife pokes a hole.

Empty those pockets beforehand and you shouldn't have a problem.

Jerry
    No.1 problem I've had, err, seen I mean.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Images
    there's not really a way to reinforce an end gathered hammock without adding another structural layer. just like a rope, you couldn't just reinforce one small part along it's length and get any benefit. since the load is evenly distributed across the full length it would just break somewhere else. i suppose you could make a double layer where the second layer was narrower than the inner layer, maybe 3-4' wide, only wide enough to support the area your torso is on, but it would have to be the full length of the hammock and be tied into the suspension, and you might be able to feel the seam where your legs hang over.

a "brand new" end gathered hammock has failed near the ends the few tests iv'e done, similar to how a knotted rope fails near the knot.

i've had a different experience from you rock, in that i larkshead the end rather than weight the channel stitches, i've had 1200 LBS in a single layer 1.1 hammock before it failed. i don't know what the difference between the 2 methods is since i've not tested the other, but i could see how a really skinny cord like dynaglide could be another variable if the fabric was cut through (i didn't catch what cord you were using). my thinking has always been that larksheading the end would distribute more of the load over more lengthwise fabric yarns vs loading a line of stitches.

there are differences in fabric type and construction that make differences too, i've tested single layer 1.1 hammocks made from other types of 1.1 that fail at about half the weight, and i think marshlaw saw a single 1.1 hammock fail from a single 300 lb person although i don't know any of the variables, i personally wouldn't recommend using anything lighter than single layer 1.1, you're not gonna save very much weight from it, and the strength loss will be definate and considerable, then throw in some miles and a little abuse on top of that and i wouldn't be confident

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    So what would happen in a 300lbs man tried to use 1.1 fabric its well below the weight limit so how would that fail?
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    So what would happen in a 300lbs man tried to use 1.1 fabric its well below the weight limit so how would that fail?
    I don't know about failing but it would stretch a lot.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    If my hammock fails in the woods can you hear my fat butt hit the ground?
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    If ground are soft, it will be funny laughter but if your butt ar going to fall on some rocks, thats ouch
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    IMO it would most likely it would fail along the bottom somewhere when some threads start to separate from others, this would cause a tear along the width of the hammock to open up and cause the hammock to shear across the material. I've seen a picture of a cuben hammock that did this, and I heard from a guy with a Nano7 that his failed that way too.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've had a different experience from you rock, in that i larkshead the end rather than weight the channel stitches, i've had 1200 LBS in a single layer 1.1 hammock before it failed. i don't know what the difference between the 2 methods is since i've not tested the other, but i could see how a really skinny cord like dynaglide could be another variable if the fabric was cut through (i didn't catch what cord you were using). my thinking has always been that larksheading the end would distribute more of the load over more lengthwise fabric yarns vs loading a line of stitches.
    My assumption was the same as yours, I initially avoided putting the suspension through the channel because I thought the same thing. But after ripping the head off one hammock I went the other way with success. I was (and still do) use Dynaglide. I did try making one hammock with the end doubled over and sewn before making the channel to do what you are suggesting and make a reinforced area before running the rope through the channel - but that actually didn't work well at all. The rope started slicing through the channel while I was sitting in it which didn't make any sense at all to me. I probably did something wrong, but I don't know what. My other thought at this was sort of in left field, but I will throw it out there and see if anyone else has thoughts:

I THINK my double layer cord channel failed because it didn't initially take up all the slack from the suspension cord, leaving space in there that was yet to be compressed out by the suspension until it was under heavy load - those two layers have little gaps of air where you need to work to compress out. So when I hung in it and it did start to move, the narrow cord created friction as it did, cutting through the material. This could also be why my initial try at a larks head around the body of the hammock failed. So advice based on assumption - if you are going to use dynaglide cord on a hammock, make sure that baby is as tight as you can get it before you start trying to hang with it.

there are differences in fabric type and construction that make differences too, i've tested single layer 1.1 hammocks made from other types of 1.1 that fail at about half the weight, and i think marshlaw saw a single 1.1 hammock fail from a single 300 lb person although i don't know any of the variables, i personally wouldn't recommend using anything lighter than single layer 1.1, you're not gonna save very much weight from it, and the strength loss will be definate and considerable, then throw in some miles and a little abuse on top of that and i wouldn't be confident
    I totally agree there. Not all 1.1 is created the same. It took me a couple of tries to find 1.1 that worked well for a hammock.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    DIY: 11' Pertex 4 - AKA 'ball bag'
    Tarp
    DIY: 10x10 S-Nylon
    Insulation
    DIY: CS Dual Diff
    Suspension
    DIY: Dyneema leads
    Images
    A nylon hammock shouldn't unless it is damaged (perhaps via abrasion, persistent folding in the same place or a minor nick/score).

There is a video on you tube of i think a 1.7 oz/yd hammock under a load test. The amsteel whoopie was the point of failure and the hammock just kind of deformed, and amsteel [dyneema] is very strong. Nylon has a massive amount of stretch before it tears unless there is a flaw, after all it is used for parachutes.

I would put my money on improper suspension, as mentioned if it is not fitted properly your asking for it. Again if you don't check it for wear you are asking for it (if you use dutchwear it can cause quite a bit of wear, i just cut a strand of amsteel using a speed hook on brand new dyneema).

End channels should only be a fail point if you do not cinch the suspension properly or use very thin cord, like dynaglide.

A broad spectrum fail point would be the tarp, it is one of the most likely things to spoil your night, but that is probably a bit of a tangent.
    Last edited by mr tickle; 01-11-2015 at 23:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast