Hennessy Explorer ASYM Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Don't know yet
    Suspension
    Tree Straps

DIY vs Buy

Not to diminish the overall value of a DIY project but can anyone share the basic cost difference between a DIY 3 season underquilt and a purchased one? I just don't want to get into a project and find out I could have purchased what I wanted for the same money or comparatively close when you consider the value of a professionally constructed product.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have dollars to throw away and if a DIY will really save me money then I'm all in. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Also there are many threads on this subject going back a few years. Can anyone recommend a current set of instructions maybe with diagrams and/or videos to help someone like me on his first project? Supply lists and suggested vendors would also help reduce all the Internet searching.

If I'm just asking the same question as someone else on the forum please head me in the right direction.
    When the tempest rages, when the thunders roar, and the lightnings blaze around us it is then that the truly brave man...
    wonders why he didn't check the weather report like his wife told him to.

http://www.catholictorch.com

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    I DIY because I enjoy it, not for the cost factor. By the time I have sourced materials purchased them, paid for shipping, and included my time for making the gear... it would probably be just as cost effective as purchasing gear from one of the awesome cottage industry gear makers. There are many different threads here in the forums to read with many DIY v Buy arguments both ways. Read up on what you want to do, run a basic cost analysis, then see what they are selling for and decide from there that best suits you and your needs.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    After searching around all over the internet for prices of TQ's and UQ's there are a lot of reasonably priced items out there, of course you are going to pay for their labor. But if you have the time to spend making the gear then I would go for it and do the DIY option. To me there is a sense of accomplishment of making my own gear.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    if you consider your time as "free" and shop for your materials really good and have some patience to wait for good deals on materials

then yes, you can save some money doing it yourself......if you don't meet the criteria above.....then you might as well go ahead and purchase from the vendors on here

i like going the DIY route just because when someone looks at a piece of my gear i can say "i made that" and the pride that goes along with that

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

If you're looking at strict savings, I guess maybe around 80-100, if you already have a machine. DIY is more entertainment. It takes a long time to make the stuff and as a newbie you make a lot of mistakes which raise the materials cost. I enjoy it though.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I love diy. I count my time as free, since making stuff is considered a hobby for me. It also keeps my old mind active. Cost is very little as Wally World is selling fabric again. DIY Gear Supply is also not as expensive as some places also. But all considered, the knowledge of how to make things is priceless! I know some people that can't make a paper airplane and actually don't want to learn. I pity them.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Images
    I would say if you have the funds go for it and purchase some awesome products out there. For myself cost is a big factor so my time is irrelevant. Plus once you get bit by the DIY bug you can't stop.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer ASYM Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Don't know yet
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    I appreciate everyones input and encouragement to do a DIY. That brings me to the second part of my question...can you point me to a good set of current instructions that might also contain a template for an underquilt? Thanks again for your comments.
    When the tempest rages, when the thunders roar, and the lightnings blaze around us it is then that the truly brave man...
    wonders why he didn't check the weather report like his wife told him to.

http://www.catholictorch.com

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    there's some good info on these 2 sites to get you started

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_underquilt.php

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    What kind of quilt are you looking for? Down/synthetic. What temp are you going to be sleeping in? What kind of hammock do you have? Are you concerned about weight? We will need a bit more information. If you search the DIY section for plans ere are plans for everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast