Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer ASYM Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Don't know yet
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Being new I just purchased a Hennessy Expedition with a full hex rainfly. I'm a cold sleeper and am 6'2". I would like to keep this as lite as possible. I will probably camp in spring and fall so temps could dip into the 20s a night or to but will probably be in the 30-40s. I also want to make one for my wife who would appreciate the warmth. I don't think well be camping in the winter. I like the details of a draw string at both ends to reduce draft and shock cord on the sides to allow it to pull up closer around me. It also sounds good to be able to slide it forwards or backwards. Full length would probably be better for me since I have a problem with cold feet.

Thanks for you help
    When the tempest rages, when the thunders roar, and the lightnings blaze around us it is then that the truly brave man...
    wonders why he didn't check the weather report like his wife told him to.

http://www.catholictorch.com

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    http://www.angrysparrow.com/hammock_...kass_quilt.pdf

This is a link to the KAQ (kickass quilt) Potomac it is designed for the Hennessy and is a full length quilt. You can make it as warm as you like just more layers of the insulation of your choice.

Climashield is really easy to work with.

Weight to warmth is about like 550 down and when you get ready to wash, just throw it in a front loader. The downside is it is bulky unless you put it in a compression bag which is not the best thing to do.

The big advantage of down to me is the compressibility and slightly less weight.

For instance for a summer top quilt - Thru hiker has m50 for $13 per yard and climashield apex 2.5 oz is $10 a yard. Unless you are really short you need 3 yards of insulation and 5 yards of fabric so about $95. Also need a bit of cord, an anchored line lock, some 1/2" grosgrain (if you want to strap it) and a snap or velcro.

If you know anything about sewing and you have your pattern and once you get used to it, it takes about 3 hours to put one together. You only edge sew it.

I am big so my quilt is larger, but a pattern like a long golite ultra 20 is about 3 yards, so just use that as a estimate. At 3 yards it would weigh about 12 oz and good to around 45-50dF depending.

A 5 oz apex TQ would cost about $110, weigh about 20oz and good to about 30dF.

You can nest a 2.5oz quilt and a 5oz quilt and that would weigh 32oz and good to about 10-15dF depending.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made my TQ/UQ and my tarp.

If you shop around for your supplies (I like diygearsupply.com) you can absolutely safe yourself a bundle as long as you consider your time spent "free". As anyone into DIY will admit, it takes a good amount of time to get the skills and apply them to complete your project.

I enjoy the planning, buying supplies, and actually making something myself.

The downside is, my work isn't as immaculate as those who have honed their skills in the cottage industry. However as many have said, if someone is close enough to your camp to be inspecting your stitching it's likely that they are getting a bit too close

Another benefit to making your own stuff is that if something happens to it you have the knowledge to fix it. If a quilt tears you will know how to give it a nice fix.

I think I've spent the following...

Tarp (2.1oz heavier duty sil) - about $60 12x10'
    TQ/UQ - Probably $150+ for both, used Primaloft Sport 7oz weight.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I personally enjoy making my own gear and my entire pack is "Do it yourself".

I have saved a lot of money by making everything myself and don't consider the time spent making it, as a negative thing.

It did take a lot of practice and research to learn how to do everything right. I am making a video series now on "how to make a down underquilt" which will cover pretty much everything on the project. Also, it has written instructions with photos as somewhat of a "companion" to the videos that should be a big help to current and future "do it yourself" folks.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer ASYM Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Don't know yet
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Fronkey - please send links to your vids and instructions when you're ready. That is really where I'm at right now. I'm looking for some good instructions, a vid or 2 so I can actually see it done, and hopefully a materials list. The icing would be recommendations where to buy the materials. I just don't have the hours to hunt around on the forum or worse the Internet.....just to much stuff out there and posts/links that go back years. I'd like to incorporate the most recent ideas and techniques.

Blaze
    When the tempest rages, when the thunders roar, and the lightnings blaze around us it is then that the truly brave man...
    wonders why he didn't check the weather report like his wife told him to.

http://www.catholictorch.com

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I am making a video series now on "how to make a down underquilt" which will cover pretty much everything on the project. Also, it has written instructions with photos as somewhat of a "companion" to the videos that should be a big help to current and future "do it yourself" folks.

Fronkey
    Can't wait to see it ...
    I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ MT3
    Suspension
    Web straps
    Blaze,
    Like you, I look up to the DIY guys and gals out there. I'm impressed with the quality of work they are able to produce. However, I am not that skilled, nor did I want to take the time to hone my skills before I hit the trail.

If you are new to sewing, I would recommend you purchase your first UQ or hammock. You could spend money building your own, only to have it come out as crap. And your money and time be wasted. You would have picked up some valuable lessons, but your goal to save money and get into the woods would have been lost.

I see DIY as something you work on over the long haul, when you have time and money to spend learning. I've tried a couple of projects only to have them look like crap and not be as reliable as I would have liked. When I hit the trail, I want to have dependable gear.

My skills are improving, but right now about the only thing I can make without issue is a bag. I just wanted to give you this warning from a skill-less wonder like myself. I love hammock camping because I enjoy the comfort and security of the gear I have. I would hate to see you try it and hate it because of poor gear.

That's my two cents.
    Last edited by rbdodger; 02-27-2012 at 11:05.
    RBDodger
    Aka - Roger-Dodger
    Backpacker w/QRP Gear - Schofield WI
    -------------
    Above all else, it should begin and end with HONOR!

Banned
    I can't really believe this is even a question (no offense meant) but seriously, WTF ?

Of course you can save many many many dollars doing it yourself as opposed to paying the way blown up costs. On the order of 1 or 5 bucks as opposed to 10 or 12.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    JRB Egret
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Having just finished a down uq project myself, I will repeat what others have said: don't count your time spent on your DIY project.

I once read that if you can earn more money by working than you will spend on buying the peice of gear, then by all means buy the gear, you end up ahead in the end. But if you are using your "free time" to make a peice of gear, well then that is going to save you money because your time is 'free'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast