IX quilt, need more ventilation.

Guess I am a sweaty ba$tard.
    At any rate I built a top quilt shell, that has a zipper in the side so I can swap out insulation (liners), inside the shell. Sort of a modular top quilt.

The shell has 9 ties on the inside to hold the liners in place.

The liners have small loops for the ties.

area of the quilt is 3.12 SY and the M50 shell weighs 5 oz.
    The IX liner weighs 4.2 oz so a total weight of 9.2 oz which is great for summer. Opened the windows last night and did a test run at about 60dF and found it very warm but clammy, IE needs a vent.

When I started I really wanted this to be a quilt system to go from summer to 0dF so it has a closed footbox.

IE the IX liner looks just like a mummy shaped quilt.

I am thinking about maybe replacing the round footbox area with 2.5 oz climashield I have left over, so that should help with the foot area.

Any ideas on venting the body??

Very upper body was okay, just seemed like it was mostly the upper legs and lower torso area that were the most clammy.

Also this is double use. IE used alone in the summer for a SUL quilt or as a liner on the inside face of the shell.

FYI in case anyone is interested, the other liner I have built so far is 5oz climashiled Apex in a 5mm Silk shell. Weighs 18oz.

The next liner will be 2.5 apex in a 5mm silk shell.
    It should weigh 11oz.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I had the same problem with IX due to how little it breaths. IMHO venting is not a good option because in order to vent you have to let heat out but all you really want (if I'm reading you right) is to reduce humidity.

I think the ability to use IX as insulation varies greatly from person to person.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Thanks,
    I do think there is probably a balance point where ventilation openings vs lost body heat would balance but not really sure where that would be. Since this is a liner, IE not finished quilt and sort of an experiment doesnt really matter. At 4 oz one intent was to carry it along when I was hiking with minimal gear as an extender.

I had thought to cut out a 4x6 square in the footbox and a few panels up the body and sew in 2 layers of m50 with a split layer of 2.5 XP, but I think I will just do the footbox Vent with a flap and scallop the edges.

Thruhiker has 2.5 XP in stock now so I will concentrate on that setup when it comes in.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I also created a single layer IX TQ for use in summer. Love the light weight of it, but am thinking of changing to a lightweight down TQ instead because I also have a clamminess problem that I don't like. Mine even has a vented footbox, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. . .

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Yes I tested mine yesterday by opening the top half of the footbox end.
    Got dry feet, but my legs were clammy.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    In winter, the humidity is extremely low, so the clamminess issue might be better...

One venting option could be to carefully cut through one layer of the scrim and cut the poly foam... Even a few small holes (1/4") might help.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i had no luck with a TQ made from IX i made one a while back and just never
    tried again i had the same problem my feet would be soaked and my legs were
    clammy even lifting it to vent it once in a while didn't help and you lost all your heat once you did it i think as a shell to a down or synth in the winter you could get away with it but as a stand alone it would go by the person and how much they sweat
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Thought about punching some 1/4" holes and did in the footbox.
    For the footbox I think I would be better off just replacing the IX round footbox part
    with climashield and 2 layers of silk.

As far as the top, I could slit it down the middle and just sew on a strip of M50.

Maybe I will try that. 1/2 layer of 2.5 XP Climashield footbox end, scalloped edges, slit all the way down the center.

Got it working well enough for me for now.
    This is an IX liner and weighs 4 oz. the M50 shell weighs 5oz.

I split some 2.5oz climashield so probably around 1.25oz, and made a breathable footbox end with M50. I already had 2 circles cut out with M50 that were bad cuts so I used them. I cut scallops in the edges of the IX down the sides, but that probably does not do that much.

Down the center from head to foot. I cut a series of 1.5" x 6" holes separated by a 3/4" piece of IX. Made it this way for testing so it would hold together. Starting from about 6" from the top down to 4" from the foot.

Did a couch test like that and it was much better, but it was still a bit clammy around my calves and feet so I added a 8" x 15" panel sideways that is 1.25 oz climashield between 5mm silk. That is about 4" from the foot once I am sure its working right.

Will probably cover the slots down the center with one layer of 5mm silk.

• + New Posts