Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Claytor JH Suspension

Got a JH today minus the tarp. I have a question for all you Claytor freaks out there.

I added cinch buckles to it today and it looks alot like the picture below.
    My question is, I did not use a bowline to tie the joined loose ends of the Spyderline at the end of the hammock. I used the method that my Trklight double used . Just took each free end of the Spyderline around the main line and then formed a basic knot. Holds great but it is cinched down as tight as it will go. This made the hammock have a ridge in the middle that I wasn't expecting. It did not feel that great when I layed in it.
    Is there a big difference in how it lays if you give it more slack at the channel such as tieing a bowline as the below picture has done? I would have tried it but will wait till tomorrow.

Thanks

FF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Got a JH today minus the tarp. I have a question for all you Claytor freaks out there.

My question is, I did not use a bowline to tie the joined loose ends of the Spyderline at the end of the hammock. I used the method that my Trklight double used . Just took each free end of the Spyderline around the main line and then formed a basic knot. Holds great but it is cinched down as tight as it will go. This made the hammock have a ridge in the middle that I wasn't expecting. It did not feel that great when I layed in it.
    Is there a big difference in how it lays if you give it more slack at the channel such as tieing a bowline as the below picture has done? I would have tried it but will wait till tomorrow.

Thanks

FF

i am glad i made the switch from stock webbing to the ring buckle set up
    neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thanks

FF

I am doing this same mod tomorrow...

I would think that the "replacement" spyderline should allow the hammock to hang (bunch at the channel) like the original webbing does. In other words, the original webbing is a single, open loop. If the replacement line is tied together at 1. the channel and 2. the buckle/rings would the hammock still hang "naturally"?

I am going to try different knots to have my replacement line tied together only 1 time at the rings/buckle.

Make any sense? Yea, me neither!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post

I would think that the "replacement" spyderline should allow the hammock to hang (bunch at the channel) like the original webbing does. In other words, the original webbing is a single, open loop. If the replacement line is tied together at 1. the channel and 2. the buckle/rings would the hammock still hang "naturally"?

I am going to try different knots to have my replacement line tied together only 1 time at the rings/buckle.

I'm thinking something along the lines in this thread...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=ring
    I will just use 2 rings and webbing from the rings to the tree...

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

I think I understand you. It is a little hard to get down in words what where talking about here.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'm thinking something along the lines in this thread...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=ring
    I will just use 2 rings and webbing from the rings to the tree...
    That looks like a really good option. I see that his channel is cinched up as tight as it will go. That is how mine looked. I guess what I am really wanting to know is does a looser channel make for a different laying hammock? Kind of like when you whip a DIY hammock and how it lays is determined by how much material you pull out at the whipping?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That looks like a really good option. I see that his channel is cinched up as tight as it will go. That is how mine looked. I guess what I am really wanting to know is does a looser channel make for a different laying hammock? Kind of like when you whip a DIY hammock and how it lays is determined by how much material you pull out at the whipping?
    I haven't seen any info posted about this in relation to non-DIY hammocks. I'm curious what your findings will be if you experiment with different 'channel spread' widths.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    One way I was thinking about doing it that I dont know I've read about before is to take a piece of rope/spyderline and run it through the channel. Then wrap the loose ends around the cinch buckle and tie off with a bowline at the cinch buckle. That I think would give the channel more play room.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    what I don't quite understand is how to maintain the spread if the channels are spread out when not loaded, how do you keep them from bunching together at the loop under load? Not sure I am making sense here.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    what I don't quite understand is how to maintain the spread if the channels are spread out when not loaded, how do you keep them from bunching together at the loop under load? Not sure I am making sense here.
    Your making perfectly good sense. I just thought the same thing myself. Kindoff a "Doh" moment. Yep it would appear that once a load is added it all ends up cinched. Although somewhat less cinched when done the alternative way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast