Tarp
    SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images

A quick overnight in NC

Went out this weekend for a quick overnight hike in the Uwharrie National Forest in NC. Started at the Hwy 24/27 trail-head Saturday morning and hiked about 14 miles during the day. Ran into a nice middle-aged couple that had their dogs with them for the weekend. I said hello and wished them a nice day and then moved on. Stopped and set up camp a couple hundred feet away from one of the many small creeks that the trail crosses. Found two (almost) perfect trees to hang between, ate and went to sleep...woke up at 0530 to what sounded like a machine gun going off next to me. Turns out it was just a big woodpecker that decided to do his thing right next to me. The temp dropped lower than what I was expecting but I was nice and toasty in my Marmot Never Winter 30 and Wilderness Logics 3/4 UQ (with some long underwear and good wool socks). Finished the hike at the Hwy 109 trail-head at about 0900 this morning and ran into a really nice young couple that was leaving as I arrived. They offered me a ride back to my truck so I didn't have to wake my girlfriend up or hitch hike LOL. I don't know if they read this board (didn't ask) but if y'all do...thank you very much and I hope I can return the favor some day.

All-in-all, a very good hike and really nice weather. Thanks for reading folks.

James

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Very nice trail. I went by there last weekend and the trailhead at 24 was packed...I really love that section better that the northern part. Glad you had a great time!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Great weekend for a Uwharrie hike. My crew started at 109 and hiked north. We woke up this morning to coyote howls and wild turkeys passing through the campsite edge. We measured 26° for the overnight low. How about you?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Great weekend for a Uwharrie hike. My crew started at 109 and hiked north. We woke up this morning to coyote howls and wild turkeys passing through the campsite edge. We measured 26° for the overnight low. How about you?
    It was right around 25 Saturday night...pretty chilly but everything was warm except my nose LOL.

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    My favorite camp spot is going north from the 109 trail head just as you cross the large wood bridge go straight up the little rise and just a little right. Close to the stream and you have a good view of anyone coming up the trail from the south.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Pete,
    Anywhere along Spencer Creek is a great spot. Going upstream from the bridge provides great spots either on the hill or in the "bowl". That area is one of the best between Dark Mtn. and Big Island Creek.

• + New Posts