Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Would you share that website on lumped charcoal please.
    Here's one, Cakes.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

They say, emphatically, don't burn charcoal indoors, but that doesn't address burning it in a properly vented woodstove, nor is the question of whether a tent with openings at both ends qualifies as "indoors" considered. Use at your own risk, and monitor CO.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Here's one, Cakes.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

They say, emphatically, don't burn charcoal indoors, but that doesn't address burning it in a properly vented woodstove, nor is the question of whether a tent with openings at both ends qualifies as "indoors" considered. Use at your own risk, and monitor CO.
    Thank you, I don't plan on using it inside a closed tarp. Actually I want it for my dutch oven cooking. The bricketts you now get are so small they burn up too quickly. I understand these burn longer.
    But on the subject of coal. We'd throw a large lump of coal in our wood stove all the time when I was a kid for overnight. But the stove was cast iron & wasn't leaky at all. Before the wood stove we had a coal furnace that heated the entire house through registers in the floor. The klinkers had to be cleaned out every now & then because all the coal does not burn to ash.
    Even rented an old house once with stoker coal furnace (it used much smaller coal like half dollar size) but it had steam radiators. I didn't like that one because if you didn't keep the water levels just right you could smoke the whole house up!
    Coal burns dirty but I bet one lump of coal overnight would keep the fire going and not be too bad.
    We have an abundance of coal mines here and it is common to be able to go to a coal yard and purchase it a bag at a time or a truck load at a time. I wouldn't have any idea what it would cost now because I haven't needed any in a few years.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The link that OG posted is the same one I sent to OutandBack.

I bought a ceramic cooker/smoker/grill a year or so ago use lump charcoal in it. Before I got it, I never knew how full of filler crap that briquettes are. And lump burns down to almost no ash, comparatively.

It's a very different application than this kind of stove, but I can fill up my smoker with lump charcoal and set the dampers for only a little airflow and it will burn untouched at steady temp for over 30 hours. I can't imagine that with briquettes.

I hope it helps with these stoves like OutandBack is using, but I'm not sure. I guess his testing will be revealing.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Would you share that website on lumped charcoal please.
    I am so sorry LDC, I have been unable to access HF for over a week. For no reason foxfire will not access this forum. All my other forums and website load up fine. I'm glad you got the website address. I spent about 3 hours reading in there. It really opened my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The link that OG posted is the same one I sent to OutandBack.

I bought a ceramic cooker/smoker/grill a year or so ago use lump charcoal in it. Before I got it, I never knew how full of filler crap that briquettes are. And lump burns down to almost no ash, comparatively.

It's a very different application than this kind of stove, but I can fill up my smoker with lump charcoal and set the dampers for only a little airflow and it will burn untouched at steady temp for over 30 hours. I can't imagine that with briquettes.

I hope it helps with these stoves like OutandBack is using, but I'm not sure. I guess his testing will be revealing.
    I was able to find some Cowboy Lump charcoal at Ace Hardware. It performed great. The pieces are not uniform.
    I started out using a pile of the really small stuff to get things going. It lit very easy. I then loaded the stove up with
    the bigger chunks. About a 1/2 hour into the large piece burn I closed the door air vents and the stove sides and top
    were cherry red. I didn't have to open the door for over two hours.

About bed time I checked and there was a bed of glowing dust about 2" thick. The stove was still putting out heat.
    I closed the door and went to bed.
    There was only one thing I did not like. When the large pieces first started to burn they would send off very tiny
    white hot sparks. A couple made it out thru the cracks around my stove door and the air vents.
    I would estimate about 10 per minute. This lasted for about 5 minutes then there was none.
    I will be taking the rest of this bag with me on the 25th for my first piney woods test of the tarp and stove.
    Hope to have a good trip report with picts.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I am so sorry LDC, I have been unable to access HF for over a week. For no reason foxfire will not access this forum. All my other forums and website load up fine. I'm glad you got the website address. I spent about 3 hours reading in there. It really opened my eyes.
    Yeah uh hu, I got ya...you've been out there playing with your tarp have ya?
    Thanks, I've been learning a lot from that site too. I'm planning to crank up the smoker soon.
    Cakes
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Images
    Wanted to make one last entry on this post.
    I was able to get out and do some field testing this past weekend.
    Everything went together fine.
    The pole I made for the hoop to keep the vestibule tight was 6" too long and I forgot my pipe cutter.
    So I wasn't able to trim and use the hoop. No hoop means I need 3 additional stakes.

We arrived at Kenosha Pass to find May weather in March.
    60 degree days 29F-30F nights. Hardly any snow left.
    So no pulk. Had to pack everything in. Not to bad. Pack with 4 days of food came in at 47lbs.
    Don't plan to pack this kit again. If I can't pulk I don't need a wood stove.

Here are some pictures. The two other guys are food and fartingOwl.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=8a5137bafb

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910