Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

First hang and CBS

Went out to Henry W Coe State Park here in California for a one night trip with my first hammock, a HH hyperlite bottom entry with whoopie slings. I used my old go lite 20 degree quilt and a JRB nest UQ.

It was a perfect weekend to be out at the park and test out my new gear. Day time temps were in the mid 50's and at night it got down below freezing and made me glad I had brought 20 degree equipment

My friend and I ended up camping in a nice stand of trees in Mahoney Meadows where I hung my hammock between two trees on the leeward side of the hill with lots of protection from the wind. It was a great site with a view of the stars but lots of protection from the elements. The colors of my hyperlite blended in perfectly with the surroundings to the degree that my hiking partner had a tough time finding me in the morning. If I had not hung my backpack on a nearby tree she siad she would not have been able to find me at all.

My poor hiking partner was on her first backpacking trip and learned quickly why I no longer sleep on the ground in a tent. She about froze to death from conductive heat loss even with a thermarest pad and a 30 degree sleeping bag. Her first words of the morning were " get up" followed by "when can you make me a hammock to test?" LOL Looks like I made a convert on my very first outing.

As this was my first time out with my hammock in a backpacking situation I wanted to share my observations with everyone as well as what I have learned from the experience.

First off, I will never, ever buy another bottom entry hammock. It was strange getting into the thing and getting out in the middle of the night to deal with the dreaded Cold Butt Syndrom while trying to get my shoes on and not dirty up the hammock at 4 am was a nightmare. The UQ suspension did not want to stay tight and I did not get the nest's omnitape sealed correctly to the HH velcro so ended up with CBS in the middle of the night as cold air leaked between the layers. I also had a constant leak of cold air at the entry unless I laid just right to keep it sealed and since I move a lot in my sleep this was a major issue. After readjusting the UQ I slept better but still had some issues with the UQ suspension. Needless to say I was not very happy with the way the JRB suspension adjusted to keep the foot end of the nest in place. The head end was perfect and once I fixed my mistake with the entry point that area was OK for what it was. The foot end would not stay in place and the suspension kept sliding toward the hammock dropping the foot end and causing the area where my feet were to push the hammock out of the UQ.

Overall the hammock and whoopie slings performed as expected. I can see what many people are saying about the stock asym tarp requiring experience to use well. I had it on its own ridge line, using the dutch hardware ridge line from whoopieslings.com which rocked by the way, pitched below the hammock about 4 inches, and still would have gotten a little wet if it had rained on me. Coming from being a SUL tarp camper, it surprised me how differently I have to think about my tarp pitches when using a hammock. Going to need more trips to build my experience L

My plan is to go on to create a DIY hammock from what I have learned from this trip. First of all, I need a standard top entry hammock without an attached bug net for easy exit and entry. Looking at making a slightly longer version of Srg. Rocks Ghost hammock for my 6' frame. I only stop later at night to pitch camp so bugs are rarely a problem and permithen takes care of that. I want to create both a HUG and one of Fronkey's nets and test them out for trips with people who like to stop early and hang around camp. Secondly, I ordered a HG 4 season tarp for the extra coverage and pitching options. Finally, I learned my legs and feet are prone to getting very cold and I roll at night. This seems like a combination of issues that would make a 2/3rds under quilt and pad in my TQ a bad idea for me. As a result I used the last of my tax return to get a 20 degree HG TQ and UQ. My original plan of trying to use a 30 degree TQ went out the window once I experienced my first night in a hammock.

Even with a full UQ and a 4 season tarp I calculate my base weight to be about 7 lb, well within my ultralight range. This is a little lighter then what I carried for this trip, which was a very comfortable weight on my back all day, so I think I will be pretty happy with this setup. Only time will tell.

Unfortunately my old camera died in the parking lot, RIP Camera, so I was unable to take any pictures during this trip.

Thanks for all your input everyone. All your advice made for a successful and informative trip.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Congratulations on your first successful(?) hanging.

If you toss and turn a good deal in your sleep, you may find a Bridge hammock more comfortable, and non-differential UQs are easy to set and forget as they attach at the four corners. They tend not to slide around and it's easy to cinch them up to the hammock body.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Thanks for the info. I will give building oen a try as my second project.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Congrats on the hang and the convert
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    lots of good details and info on that report. thanks for posting.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    for the Hennessy, you can always stick the nest velcro to itself and pull it down when you want to get in or out- it should shove out of the way easy. You're right- the leak is the problem.

Another thing with UQs is that cinching it tighter doesn't always mean a better seal.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Images
    I enjoyed reading your report. Looks like you learned a lot on that one trip.
    If your not planning to sell your bottom entry you can always cut the net off and sew the bottom closed. That's what I did 2 seasons ago and it worked well.

A head bug net works pretty well and keeps the weight down.

The 11' hammocks are all the rage right now.
    If your doing a DIY might want to look into that.

O&B

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Will probably end up selling the HH once I find a DIY I like
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Hammock
    hennessy dj xl
    Tarp
    hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    standard hennessy
    thanks for the report. i enjoy hearing about the "learning" experiences so I dont have to repeat them myself.

• + New Posts