Question Youngblood's Tarp Tent

Hey, I was looking through the pics from the last SEHHA Campout on Jeff's page, and Youngblood's tarp tent cought my eye. It looks like the almoast (condensation?) perfect solution to winter camping in groups (which I do quite a bit of). Does anyone know if there are any plans on how to make one anywhere on the web? Also if anyone has any experiences with similar designs you input and general impressions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Scout

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Yea I am interested in learning more about his setup as well.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I think Dave's tarp is basically just a 10 x 10, with cat cut edges, cat cut ridge, and lots of tie-outs. I asked him about it at Hot Springs, and he said he doesn't carry it unless it's really cold because it's too heavy, though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    His tarptent is 130"x120" and it's a bear to put up b/c it has so many tie-outs. And he needs pretty flat ground to get a nice tight pitch. But he said it really makes a difference in very cold weather. I forget how many degrees difference he said it makes (10-15, maybe?), but it's a warmer place to get dressed and such.

But condensation is also an issue, especially as conditions can change throughout the night after he's already gone to bed. That's why he only carries it when it's really cold - weight, bulk and complexity make it worth it for cold temps.

Not sure about the group thing - he only fits himself in there when it's in tent mode, as far as I know. But obviously it's just a big tarp, so if you use it like a normal tarp it should easily cover two people or provide a big dining fly.

There are a few more pics of it here and I think in the Yahoo group. He posts at the Yahoo group, too - run over there and ask him all the details you want. He's a really nice guy, and easily one of the smartest hammock gear designers I've met.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Kool thanks for the info Jeff. Yea I am on the yahoo group as well. I think I just might have to ask a few questions over there about it.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Thanks for all of the info.
    I am on the yahoo group, so I'll just ask over there (although I hate to interrupt the discussion of hammock stills:-)
    Thanks again!
    Scout

• + New Posts