Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images

No DWR?

Do quilts over/under have to be made from DWR coated fabric? How about lightweight uncoated fabrics?
    Such as:
    http://www.diytacticalstore.com/cata...6d816730767769

And if they need a coating could a spray on waterproofing like what you would find at wal-mart or a camping supply store work?

Saw this on Whiteblaze:
    ("I made a 10 x 8.5 tarp out of ripstop from joanne fabrics. Sewed it with a friend. Used ray jardines design in beyond backpacking. Tabs for guylines all around. I seam sealed it with the mix of silicone and spirts. 3:1 by weight. I did the main ridgeline, and said im gonna do the whole thing this way. So as it was set up i painted the silicone mixture on it. What a buzz! I only ended up doing half of it because it was too time consuming, and hard. I did the other side with "orange cap" silicone spray in a can. walmart and campmor both have it. Waterproofness so far is equal, but the handbrushed side definateley in heavier and ugly looking. I would next time do all of the ridgeline, and the hems on the outside with the silicone calk mix, then hit it with orange cap.")

Any ideas or thoughts?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I don't guess you have to have DWR treatment, but you are taking a chance of your insulation getting wet a lot easier than it would with the DWR coating. I also think the the DWR coating has a lot to do with a fabric being "down-proof". I think the DWR coating is what really helps to keep the down inside a piece of equipment, that and the weave of the fabric.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I am voting for having to have DWR finish. Not for the rain protection, but for the wind protection. Insulation works by trapping in your body heat. The DWR layer stops the warm air from leaving the quilt and cold air from coming in. Very needed on the outer layer.

I should add that for down I do not think 1.1 untreated is downproof. I think 1.9 is but it is a lot heavier.

BPL has a synethic quilt with a taffeta material for the inner shell and a DWR for the outer. I keep thinking I am going to go that route if I make anything synethic. It should help it warm up faster.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Jeff, I purchased that same brown ripstop from DIY tactical and all I can say is... go to thru-hiker and buy the 1.1 from AYCE. The fabric I got from them is far superior to the crap at DIYtactical. I made a 1/2 underquilt and it started leaking down all over the place. And I dont mean feathers, I mean soft, pliable fluffy down. Ive never seen a ripstop so pourous before, and it was just a waste of $18 because I threw it away and started over. It was probably my fault for not realizing that there is no coating or DWR. The ripstop from Thru-hiker is calendared, and downproof. Quest also has the same material but only in white or red.

(btw, if you really want to spoil yourself, use 1.1 for the shell and momentum for the liner. Its worth it.)

Images
    Mom90 for both feels awesome on my quilts. Going to use it if I have the extra cash on all major projects. Even with the Mom90 and the nanoseeum, my down quilts were only around $130 each.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Mike,
    I was reading your post on Heesha's 1.9 thread & the lady from Ebay dropped in here some time ago but it didn't really go anywhere?:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=eBay

I have been looking at some of the fabric she is offering but have not bought any. You may ask around to those that got samples from her to help make your decision.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    yeah, thats her. Thanks for the link, I couldnt find it!
    she sells the green 1.1 that looks and feels just like the stuff I got from Thru-hiker, at only $4 a yard. Now, if she only had digital camo, (well she does, but not 1.1oz)

and the coyote brown stuff doesnt work for down, but thats my fault for not investigating. I assumed it was coated. I think it would be fine for synthetics. One plus for it, its very light.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    I think the digi camo & the brown is what Griz used for his Claytor/Bridge Hybrid.

• + New Posts