Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    No, I just got a simple drawstring pants pattern from Walmart. I'll make the inner layer so it fits, straight off the pattern. I'll use the pattern for the top part of the outer layer, making it two sizes bigger than the inside. That should allow for ~ 1" of insulation in between. The pattern doesn't allow as much size difference in the legs, though, so I'll make the outer layer straight-legged. And allow some extra height on the outer layer too, for darts. I'm pretty sure it'll work, but it'll probably take most of tonight to make.

Oh yeah - I'll be testing another thing we talked about on our trip, Tim - I got 'high loft' quilt batting from Walmart for the insulation. It SAYS it's got 1/2" loft, but it lies. It's more like 3/8". I think I'll use three layers, which will make sizing easier too.

The stuff is definitely warm. I'm not sure how it'll hold up to repeated compression, and I'm not sure about its weight. Guess I'll find out! If the design works but the insulation wears out or won't loft after a bit, I can always make another pair out of Climashield or Primaloft.

I got zippers from Walmart too. The only ones they had with double pulls were for a jacket, and they're a bit heavier than I'd like. If I make another pair I'll get zips from Thru-Hiker.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    sounds like that should work fine.
    that's the right idea, allowing quite a bit of extra on the outer shell.
    i've made the mistake of not allowing enough (even though i thought i was) & then there was some compression of the insulation going on.
    i believe now i would rather err on the excess w/ the shell of any thing insulated rather than finish the quilt or whatever & have the shell tighten down on the insulation.
    a few extra inches of light-weight shell are no big deal compared to flat insulation.
    BTW... i made my first insulated hammock from quilt batting from wal-mart. i'm sure it's not going to stack up to the better grades of insulation when you get technical about weight/warmth & long life, but for a 1st attempt on something, it works fine. it will definitely insulate.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images

hammonk

cool pics please. thinking that too is a good idea.
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Hanger View Post
    http://www.bodibag.com/
    I think this could serve as a sleeping bag as well in warmer weather.
    Notice you can order it in different weights 100 or 200
    very coool
    i like the it,just wish i knew the weigt neo

Images

The Sizes are up

Just got a email from Magnet
    the sizes are up now....
    some of you may know him he hike the AT in 2004 and the PCT 2006
    He is also a Hammock user

I am sure the weight will be listed next I think it slipped his mind. I for one want to know the weight. I wish I would of spotted his site before I purchased my fleece jacket.
    I am awaiting his NEW rain poncho/tarp shelter...like the idea of it can completely be enclosed... I think I will wait now I have plenty of time before I need that rain poncho for my August trip.

Anyways I found this site from a lead on WB and the trail forums that were suggested there...in case you did not want to use Trail Journals for some reason or need both forums.
    Aloha!

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I started the fleece lined hammock thread. I agree with Pan that fleece is not the answer for a hiking hammock. Mine was just for use on the back porch of my weekend cabin. The bulk and weight is not a problem for this use. The only fleece I use hiking are long johns (shirt,pants) on below freezing trips. I have been stuck on synthetic insulation (lighter than fleece) but that No Snivler quilt and Nest is on my wish list for next year! Just wanted to make sure no one thought I was advising this for hiking.
    No worries. If I end up making something like this I'm happy to take all the blame/credit. Your thread just inspired me to think about it. I love the feel of fleece, so maybe the weight would worth it (I'm not UL by any means). It's worth considering.

BTW, Magnet's put up estimated weights for the bodibag.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tyro View Post
    No worries. If I end up making something like this I'm happy to take all the blame/credit. Your thread just inspired me to think about it. I love the feel of fleece, so maybe the weight would worth it (I'm not UL by any means). It's worth considering.

BTW, Magnet's put up estimated weights for the bodibag.
    yes,fleece is great,in my favorite color camo neo

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123