Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The plastic ones! Really?
    I tried them once; broke both the same night. Went back to the original Fig 9s. Otherwise, this is the same way I roll. Although, if I'm being truthful, I think I've only got one tarp with Fig 9s on it anymore. I like them Tarp Flyz that Mr. Easy On The Eyes makes.
    Yep...been using the plastic ones now for probably my last 4-5 trips (usually 2 nights each). Had some concern that they might break, but no issues with that so far. Kind of surprising, since I'm using a HH hex tarp which I'm given to understand is a good bit larger/heavier than what most folks use.

I want me some flyz...but just been too cheap/lazy so far to purchase them when what I've got in hand seems to be working ok. Maybe if these do end up breaking at some point.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    What size cord are you using for those to work on a ridgeline? I tried them one time and they slipped fairly easily with good tension.

I switched to a zing-it 2.2 ridgeline, with kleimheists made out of 1.75 zing it. Haven't had the setup out over night yet but tested it in the basement and it's the best I have seen yet!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Klemheists here. The cordage I picked up for my ridgeline was too thick for the stock Hennessy Prusiks to bite on, so I tied them in Klemheists instead. No issues with slippage, in about four dozen nights' use.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Kleimheist knots. They have more holding power.

+how ever many. My ridgeline is zing-it and found that the Kleimheist , with an extra turn, holds better. I leave it, along with the biners attached to the tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The plastic ones! Really?
    I tried them once; broke both the same night. Went back to the original Fig 9s. Otherwise, this is the same way I roll. Although, if I'm being truthful, I think I've only got one tarp with Fig 9s on it anymore. I like them Tarp Flyz that Mr. Easy On The Eyes makes.
    I have them on a few of my tarps, but just for the guy lines. I don't trust the plastic ones for the ridge.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use prussiks with Wal-mart S-biners for the tarp adjustment, and I'm using the plastic figure-9s as well. This is with 2.5mm reflective line (the same kind that nite-ize sells, only in black).

I've still got the original figure 9's I installed on the CRL...they've served me well for 20+ trips in everything from 90 degree weather to 10 degree weather. I have had no problem with them whatsoever (although I do have a few extras in case I do lose or break one)
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    whats a knot? Dutchware tarp flyz holds up my tarp

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Is anyone using UCRs to hold thier tarps to a ridge line? After watching Sgt Rock's video on them, it seems like it might be worth experimenting with.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I have tried the Klemheist and they also had a tendency to lock up on me and be difficult to get the line to slide thru. I spent a whole morning a few weeks ago trying different knots on a RL in the basement and thats how I landed on the Distel hitch. It is also directional, but once tied it can be left on the RL even w/o the carabiner left on it. (Just thought I'd give a bit more background on how I landed on the distel.) HYOH & TYOK (tie you own knots)
    I will have to try this one out. I get tired of my prusiks some times locking up on me.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Used the Kleimheist and they locked up so tight I had to untie them just to change position. Didn't work for me using 1.75 mm Lash-It on 1.75 mm Lash-It. I think the coating on the Lash-It is the problem.

Tried the Distal and it was a pain to tie using 1.75 mm Lash-It on 1.75 mm Lash-It. Also, getting the 2 ends exactly even was even more work. Maybe on larger diameter rope, tying the knot and getting the ends even is a lot easier. The Distal didn't work for me very well unless both ends were exactly even.

I've gone back to plain Prussics. They can lock up, but not as bad as the Kleimheist and are easier to unlock than the Kleimheist, which were pretty much impossible to unlock.

I've tried various techniques, but the best I've used so far is to use a small Figure 9 on a Prussic loop. The Prussic makes re-positioning the Figure 9 easy and the Figure 9 gives me that 3 to 1 advantage of the Truckers Hitch in pulling the ridge line tight. And with the small Figure 9 in the Prussic loop, it doesn't wander off and get lost.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Used the Kleimheist and they locked up so tight I had to untie them just to change position. Didn't work for me using 1.75 mm Lash-It on 1.75 mm Lash-It. I think the coating on the Lash-It is the problem.

Tried the Distal and it was a pain to tie using 1.75 mm Lash-It on 1.75 mm Lash-It. Also, getting the 2 ends exactly even was even more work. Maybe on larger diameter rope, tying the knot and getting the ends even is a lot easier. The Distal didn't work for me very well unless both ends were exactly even.

I've gone back to plain Prussics. They can lock up, but not as bad as the Kleimheist and are easier to unlock than the Kleimheist, which were pretty much impossible to unlock.

I've tried various techniques, but the best I've used so far is to use a small Figure 9 on a Prussic loop. The Prussic makes re-positioning the Figure 9 easy and the Figure 9 gives me that 3 to 1 advantage of the Truckers Hitch in pulling the ridge line tight. And with the small Figure 9 in the Prussic loop, it doesn't wander off and get lost.
    I didn't tie my distel even, I just hooked both ends to the beiner and gave it a tug and it evened up on its own. I'm using 1.75mm for both RL and friction hitch. I have to agree, those klemheists can really get tight! I gave up on them too and use a prusik in many other applications.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast