Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What, exactly, is wrong with the HH suspension?

So I have an old HH Explorer Asym (classic, from when that's all there was) and I love it and have use it extensively for 6 or 7 years. I have tried tying it up different ways but always come back to the standard HH web slings + figure-8 lashings. Other than this being a bit heavy, what's wrong with it? It's infinitely adjustable, very short min hang distance, low stretch... I don't see what's gained by going to something more complicated.

I have considered changing the heavy spectra cord that came on the hammock over to some amsteel, maybe 10-ft per side to give me a little more length. If I don't mind tying the figure-8 lashing, what am I missing by not using a more complicated suspension? I'm also looking at possibly making myself a 11-foot by 72-inch monster for when I don't mind carrying the weight, and plan to use the same suspension system (with amsteel) unless someone can turn me on to an honestly better solution.

Images
    There is nothing wrong with the HH suspension method, it's just one of the many ways to hang a hammock. End of conversation.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I wasn't familiar with it so just watched a video on the HH website. The only thing I could think of would be tying all of that in the winter with gloves on, but if not camping in the cold weather, it looks fine to me.

Images
    You are correct that there is nothing inherently wrong with the HH Figure 8 lashing system. It is one of many options to hang that or any hammock. In my experience folks swap out of a desire for speed, simplicity or weight reduction or all three.

I swapped for speed until I learned that I really didn't need to be all that speedy. Not one time was someone there with a stopwatch challenging me to get my set up done in under a minute. Then it became a matter of looking for simplicity. I was happy to understand and know the figure 8 lashing but I have some issues with my hands so it was a comfort thing as well. I ultimately landed on a change to a continuous loop on each end of the hammock itself and using Hammock Anchors ala HammockFan and Amsteel leaders. This was a significant drop in weight, is also infinitely adjustable and is very quick and simple in the set up.

I wasn't trying to fix something that was broken, just the bug to tinker with stuff that seems to be one of the many side symptoms of the hammock flu so many of us are gleefully infected with.

With regard to changing over to Amsteel and still using the figure 8 lashing system; I don't know but that that would slip some, reduce the rated strength of the amsteel (I hear you're not supposed to tie knots in it for this reason but I am hard of hearing too) or both. Splicing is good and recommended, knots are not.

I will recommend the Hammock Anchors (see Youtube video here from HammockFan and this one HERE from me). I have enough leader to put me between trees about 20 - 25 feet apart. More than that and I have to go higher than I want to bother with on the tree to get me in that 30° hang angle zone. Worth a look at the least.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I always found the figure 8 knot to be time consuming and somewhat challenging.Once you try a carabiner and two descender rings you might be hooked on it like I was.I am keeping my HH for the grandson after moving on to a WBBB 1.1 DL and cinches.Not everyone is a fan of whoopies.......

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    With regard to changing over to Amsteel and still using the figure 8 lashing system; I don't know but that that would slip some, reduce the rated strength of the amsteel (I hear you're not supposed to tie knots in it for this reason but I am hard of hearing too) or both. Splicing is good and recommended, knots are not.
    Thanks for the input. If not Amsteel, can you make a recommendation to replace the existing lines with something lighter? Although, I don't think the figure-8 lashing would be any great amount of stress on the Amsteel. If the DutchWare Cinch Buckles (http://www.dutchwaregear.com/cinch-b...uspension.html) don't cause problems with the Amsteel wrapped around the buckle, I don't think it would hurt it to wrap it around the tree huggers. The smallest bend radius would be about the same. I can see an issue if it were tied in a knot that could pull tight on itself and theoretically go below a 0D radius, but the lashing will always be above 1D. Perhaps I'll get some and do some static testing between continuous loops and the lashing to see what fails first.

My concern was actually the smaller radius of the Amsteel compromising the nylon webbing straps - but if it became a problem I could just switch to kevlar straps... been wanting to anyway.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    After many years, I still use the HH standard lashing on the standard HH spectra line and also on my DIY gathered end hammocks.
    I tried the Speed Hooks on my DIY (neat, but amsteel was damaged), but after a year I went back to the HH standard. Solid performance and I haven't lost a lashing yet :>)

One mod I like - This year I have been using the Dutch Clips on my tree hugger web straps - I find it is real nice to be able to disconnect and pack up without undoing the lashing. When I fish or leave camp for the day I pack up the hammock and usually set back up at the same location in the evening. Using these Dutch Clips allows you to leave the lashings tied - makes this a real easy set-up event.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-clip.html
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-12-2015 at 11:23.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I had a Hennessy, I immediately switched to whoopies. Me and the Figure-8 lashing didn't get along. There's nothing wrong with it other than it's a pain in the butt, and I found myself tying and retying the Figure 8, depending on the trees.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    It's been a while since I looked into changing out the standard HH suspension and decided not to do it.Someone who knows how much the weight savings actually would be to convert an HH Expedition Asym over to whoopies one inch webbing,please chime in as inquiring minds would like to know.

As others have said, 'nothing'. Just personal preference. I have whoopies on my Lite Owl and just got cinch buckles on my XLC. I still have the standard suspension on my Explorer Deluxe. I've not found it to be too time consuming. I just tie two slippery half-hitches on one end. Tie the Figure 8 on the other end and then come back and re-tie the two slippery half-hitches. I don't think it takes more than 4 or 5 minutes.
    I have tied a bowline on each end and used the marlin spike hitch with a couple of carabiners just to mess around and try something different. A couple of months ago when I used it last, I just used the two Figure 8s.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast